[WSIS CS-Plenary] Intersessional negotiation group of PrepCom-3 - 24 October 2005

CONGO - Philippe Dam wsis at iprolink.ch
Mon Oct 24 19:53:07 BST 2005

Dear all,

This is a very short up-date on today's meetings of the 'closed'
intersessional negotiation group.

Civil society people got a briefing with Ambassador Karklins between 9:15
and 10:00. In addition to his modus operandi for today's meeting, Ambassador
Karklins mentioned that a new proposal from ITU / UNESCO would be officially
circulated (but at the end of the end we have not it yet). We don't know at
this stage if there would be any working group created to find consensus on
articles still under discussion on implementation and follow-up (to be
discussed on Wednesday, depending on the actual work on the Political
Chapeau and Chapter 2).

>From those who attended some parts of the meetings, we heard that Karklins
had a very fast first reading of the bracketed paragraphs of the Political
Chapeau (please see Document
<http://www.itu.int/wsis/documents/doc_multi.asp?lang=en&id=2129|2173>
WSIS-II/PC-3/DT/12 : ) in order to streamline it, with the hope to get it
stronger and more focused, by deleting all the elements directly copied and
pasted from the Geneva documents. He did not get consensus on this and
therefore get back to Article 1 to start negotiations.

Discussions among States were of course stuck on some contentious issues
(State sovereignty, multi-stakeholder partnerships, debt and trade related
issues), but they went pretty fast on this and many articles were agreed
upon with some changes (paragraphs 1-2; 6 to 8; 10; 13 to 18; 20-21; 23 to
27; 29 to 31; 36; 39; 40 to 42; 44).

Negotiations will continue for compromise texts and need to come back for
para. 3 to 5, 9; 12; 22; 28; 32 to 35 (with main problem on 32 and 33); 37;
39; 43 and 45.

Paragraphs 11, 12 and 19 are to be merged.

Tomorrow morning, discussions will start on financing mechanisms. The
Negotiation group still is supposed to get a finalized agreement tomorrow
afternoon on Political Chapeau and Chapter 2, in order to deal with
Implementation and Follow-up mechanism on Wednesday.

We also had a meeting with the UK / EU mission after the afternoon session
during we get an overall report on today's discussion.

Best regards,

Philippe

Philippe Dam
CONGO - WSIS CS Secretariat
11, Avenue de la Paix
CH-1202 Geneva
Tel: +41 22 301 1000
Fax: +41 22 301 2000
E-mail:  <mailto:wsis at ngocongo.org> wsis at ngocongo.org
Website:  <BLOCKED::http://www.ngocongo.org> www.ngocongo.org

The Conference of NGOs (CONGO) is an international, membership association
that facilitates the participation of NGOs in United Nations debates and
decisions. Founded in 1948, CONGO's major objective is to ensure the
presence of NGOs in exchanges among the world's governments and United
Nations agencies on issues of global concern.  For more information see our
website at www.ngocongo.org <BLOCKED::http://www.ngocongo.org/>