[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [CS Bureau] Consular office at the tunisian mission in Geneva

Al Alegre alalegre at fma.ph
Thu Oct 27 11:15:08 BST 2005

Dear Philippe

I guess in principle this is a great service. However, in some countries it is a
different reality on the ground.

Here in Manila our immigration desk checks already for a valid visa to your
destination, and it is very hard to convince them (especially for countries that
the officers are not too familiar with) that visas upon arrival will be issued.

In addition, some transit countries also give our nationals a hard time for the
same reason. EU immigration officers in the various countries (e.g., Frankfurt
or Rome) for example may choose to deny entry to people from my country if we
cannot show visas to our onward destination...they seem to think that everyone
is dying to be an illegal alien to fortress Europe :-)

So I would encourage everyone to double-check if this visa-upon-arrival option
will not pose more problems either in your home country or in your transit
airport (if any)...

Thanks
Al

(obviously a veteran of visa problems.... :-)