[WSIS CS-Plenary] New Information for Participants @ Summit (rules of conduct..?)

Rui Correia correia.rui at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 14:54:14 BST 2005

They could have spared us all having to go through this - by simply
distributing it to their own "government parallel civil society"

So, if it is really meant for "us", then the only way it makes sense is if
the "organiser of the event" is to be made responsible for deliberately
staged acts of public disorder and so put the blame on CS. I fear to think
what would be the nature of intervention by security should such a scenario
evolve.

Robert, I don't know how much you want to make of this, but herewith a few
points, by number:

[some of the guidelines mix process with content - 5a, for example].

4. It is quite commonplace nowadays to be able to film with cell phones and
digital cameras for personal purposes and a lot of people do this. I can't
see why it should not be allowed, other than reducing the odds of capturing
scenes of .....

5.a) This sounds very much like a direct reference to the IFEX meetings on
Human Rights situations in Tunisia.

6. "... and may report to the ECOSOC Secretariat in case the delegate or
delegates are registered by an entity in consultative status with ECOSOC." -
this is blatant intimidation. So, if they can get at you through the
channels via ECOSOC, than keep quite, right? If you have no ties to ECOSOC,
then speak your mind.

And while on the subject, I seek clarity on "closed meetings" - at the last
PrepCom III, a certain caucus unceremoniously threw out people arriving for
the next session, saying the meeting was reserved for their members. I couls
be wrong, but from what I could establish, that meeting did not feature on
the daily list of events.

Rui Correia
Coordinator, Southern Africa WSIS Partnership
(Media Institute of Southern Africa, SACOD, Highway Africa)
38 Finch St,
Ontdekkers Park, Roodepoort,
Johannesburg, South Africa
Tel/ Fax (+27-11) 766-4336