[WSIS CS-Plenary] Reports from Intersessional

karen banks karenb at gn.apc.org
Fri Oct 28 10:13:18 BST 2005

Dear Jette and Philiippe,

Thank you very much for the updates from Geneva on intersessional
negotiations - it makes a huge difference to those of us preparing
for the resumed prepcom and summit who can't be in geneva.

Thanks also conchita for your additional comments, very useful.

I was wondering if someone could give me an update on what you think
will be the status of documents as at the end of today - the end of
this intersessional period.  It would appear that many paras in both
documents will go to tunis in brackets, and, when i look at the
contested paragraphs in the political chapeau (a crude assessment but):

- the principle of national sovereignty (para 3/Alt 3)
- independent media (para 4)
- freedom of expression (para 5)
- the role of non-governmental stakeholders in WSIS outcomes (para 9)
- obstacles to bridge the 'digital divide' (para 12, 43)
- financing ICTD/trade (paras 32, 33, 37, 38, 39)
- cultural diversity and identity (para 34/35)

not much has changed since phase I ;)

I am working on DT12rev2 as the current working version of The
Political chapeau, as posted by renate on wed oct 26th. (the 'on
screen' version) - is that the last version?

many thanks

karen