[WSIS CS-Plenary] deconstructing the UN org chart

William Drake wdrake at ictsd.ch
Thu Sep 1 08:23:15 BST 2005

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the pointer, an interesting read.  It's also illustrative of the
dynamics we were discussing.  As ITU  is legally part of the UN system, the
UN SG has the authority to ask the JIU to review its operations and make
recommendations.  However, the JIU's main recommendations on elections,
top-level management, and the like ( I'd have to dig to track the status of
the little administrative bits) have been entirely ignored by ITU.  Thanks,
but no.

More generally, the analysis is entirely acontetextual; there's no sense of
how ITU is positioned in the larger global telecom environment and what that
might mean for the main challenges it faces.  It makes little sense to talk
about internal management questions concerning policy work, budget,
information systems and access, etc. in a manner that is entirely divorced
from the external operational environment that drives them.  It'd be
interesting to read the JIU report on WIPO and others and see if the same
narrowly constrained mandate problem applies.

No mention, of course, of the fact that ITU imposes huge barriers to civil
society participation and has less than a handful of NGOs participating only
in individual sectors.  Not, apparently, a consequential problem that
affects the management, effectiveness, and standing of the institution.

Best,

Bill