[WSIS CS-Plenary] * APC Tribute to Chris Nicol *

mclauglm at po.muohio.edu mclauglm at po.muohio.edu
Sat Sep 3 02:07:34 BST 2005

Chris was one of the first persons to acquaint me with the WSIS
process, as I'd never been part of a UN summit before, and my
organization has been somewhat small and isolated over the years.
After each prepcom during Phase 1, I'd return to the US, singing the
praises of Chris Nicol to members of my organization because he was
smart, politically-progressively oriented to global equity, funny,
helpful, understanding, and able to write a good press release on top
of that. Within the past year, I was told, by a cancer survivor, that
Chris had cancer, and I am a cancer survivor myself. I only could
hope that he would be able to survive as we did, but his illness was
more aggressive. He is no longer suffering. It is for us to be sad
now. But, even though I didn't know him very well, I will miss him
tremendously. My condolences to Chris's partner, family, and APC.

I still think of Chris in the context of the last time that I saw
him. We had a continuous joke about my inability to do the "two cheek
kissing form of greeting" that is not so common in the US. He
surmised that, eventually, I would master the greeting. This hasn't
occurred, but I will work on it, thanks to Chris.

All best wishes,

Lisa

--
Lisa McLaughlin, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Mass Communication & Women's Studies

Mass Communication
Williams Hall
Miami University-Ohio
Oxford, OH 45056