[WSIS CS-Plenary] What YOCADS Doing in Liberia , relative to MDGs

yocads yocads yocadsorg2003 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 5 11:48:36 BST 2005

Dear All:

Many  young people the World over are making significant contribution to the MDGs. For example, The Youth for Community Academic and Development Services (YOCADS), a Liberian based youth Organization had been deepening the dialogue and creating a massive awareness on the MDGs at the National level among young. We think such a youth –led initiative need to be strengthened and acknowledged as a means of motivation and encourage others to follow suit.

Moreover, on August 5, 2005 (YOCADS) conducted “Youth and the MDGs round-Table Discussion” with technical and logistical support from United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). The Round-Table Discussion brought together cross-section of young people from Universities, UN Agencies, Local Communities, Women Groups, Liberia scout Association and National Youth Organizations. Additionally, because of our commitment in the Advocacy and awareness on the MDGs, we were given an invitation to present a paper during the national Youth Consultative Conference held from 21-27 August 2005 in Kakatk Margibi County, Liberia. We presented on the Topic “Youth and the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) Actions and Adoption for a Progressive National Youth Policy on Liberia”. The conference brought together young people from the 15 Counties of Liberia including representatives from UNDP, Youth and Sports Ministry, LOIC, YMCA, Action Aid-Liberia Federation of Liberia Youth (FLY) and other National
 Youth Organization.

More Beside, YOCADS (organization) represented Liberia at the 3rd World Youth Congress held in Scotland the United Kingdom (UK) from July 29-August 8, 2005. The conference resolution call for the active involvement of youth and support to youth led projects as an effective means of achieving the MDGs by 2015.

To conclude, please see the contact details of Mr. cleophas O. Torori, Policy Advisor, UNDP-Liberia, P.O.Box 10-0274, Monrovia, Liberia. Tel; (231) 226195/226211, Cell: 231-6-590-340, who will not hesitate to provide information about our involvement in the Advocacy and Awareness Campaign on the MDGs in Schools, local Communities, and organizations that has led to the establishment of (MDGs CLUBS).

Thanks.

Alphonso K. weah

Executive Director/YOCADS

P.O.Box 4970, Duala Bushrod Island