[WSIS CS-Plenary] RE: New York

Rik Panganiban rikp at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 12 15:55:39 BST 2005

Here are the events that I know about:
12 September 2005: Seminar on Decent Work and the MDGs. Organized by
the Friedrich Ebert Foundation in cooperation with the International
Confederation of Free Trade Unions. Institute of International
Education, New York. Spaces are limited. To participate, respond by 2
September by telephone: 212 687 0208; fax: 212 687 0261, or email:
fesny at fesny.org .

13 September: Global Roundtable Forum on "Innovation and Investment:
Scaling Science and Technology to Meet the MDGs". The UN ICT Task
Force, the UN Millennium Project and UNFIP are organizing a Global
Roundtable Forum on "Innovation and Investment: Scaling Science and
Technology to Meet the MDGs" on 13 September 2005 with the
participation of high-level representatives from governments, the
private sector, civil society and academia. The primary focus of the
Forum will be on the critical role of science, technology and
innovation, especially information and communication technologies, in
scaling-up grassroots, national and global responses to achieve the
MDGs.  http://www.unicttf.org

13 September 2005: "Open UN New York 2005" a full day of debates,
events, dialogue, and films. The issues to be covered are: Millennium
Development Goals + 5 Assessment, Reform of the United Nations and of
the Multilateral System, Peace and Security. Riverside Church, New
York. Free and open to all.  See http://www.openun.org to register
and download the flyer.

13 September 2005: Interfaith Prayer Service on the occasion of the
opening of the UN General Assembly , 0800, St. Bartholomew's Church,
on Park Avenue at 51st Street. Contact Moise Waltner (212) 685-4242
or e-mail moise at interfaithcenter.org if you have any concerns or
require additional information.

- Rik

On Sep 10, 2005, at 3:40 PM, alejandra davidziuk wrote:

> [Please note that by using 'REPLY', your response goes to the
> entire list. Kindly use individual addresses for responses intended
> for specific people]
>
> Click http://wsis.funredes.org/plenary/ to access automatic
> translation of this message!
> _______________________________________
>
> Dear all,
>
> as far as I know, the only event that I know that will
> take place next week in New York is the "Millennium
> Development Goals and Cities." The graduate program of
> International Affairs at The New School will present a
> symposium to coincide with the U.N. Summit on the
> Millennium Development Goals. This event will bring
> together a diverse group of individuals from
> international and non-governmental institutions, city
> governments, and academics to discuss the significance
> of the Millennium Development Goals in relation to
> cities in developing countries.
>
> The event will be held on Monday, September 12, 2005
> from 10:00 - 5:00 p.m. in The Lang Center at The New
> School, 55 West 13th Street, 2nd floor. Admission to
> this event is free but reservations are strongly
> recommended. To make a reservation RSVP to Sabrina
> Quaraishi quars810 at newschool.edu or call 212.206.3524
> x 2453
>
> I thought that there will be a webcast of the event,
> but I am wrong. (Robert) No webcasting, sorry! I will
> be there all day, so I could send the program and get
> a digital record of same presentation if any of you
> are interested in. Please, tell me.
>
> best,
> Alejandra
>

> --- Renata Bloem <rbloem at ngocongo.org> wrote:
>

>> [Please note that by using 'REPLY', your response
>> goes to the entire list. Kindly use individual
>> addresses for responses intended for specific
>> people]
>>
>> Click http://wsis.funredes.org/plenary/ to access
>> automatic translation of this message!
>> _______________________________________
>>
>> Wolfgang,
>>
>> As far as I have an overview of all the meetings,
>> there is only the
>> High-level Roundtable, on the 13th, part of the
>> Summit, on "Innovation and
>> Investment: Scaling science and technology to meet
>> the MDGs", organized by
>> the Millennium Project and the UNICT Task Force. Rik
>> will replace me there,
>> as I could not yet travel. CONGO organizes a side
>> event during PrepCom on
>> New York events.
>> Renata

RIK PANGANIBAN       Communications Coordinator
Conference of NGOs in Consultative Relationship with the United
Nations (CONGO)
web: http://www.ngocongo.org
email: rik.panganiban at ngocongo.org
mobile: (+1) 917-710-5524