[WSIS CS-Plenary] Revised GFC draft - strategic aspects

peyer at bfa-ppp.ch peyer at bfa-ppp.ch
Sun Sep 18 18:11:04 BST 2005

Hello,

Just a note to support Parminder's point of view about the need for more
substantial text, than only the UNGA Resolution 57/270 for follow-up...

I have been wondering those last days what this resolution concretely means, if
only this appears in the WSIS texts, and as far as I understand things , it is
really a minumum engagement, which should not be sufficient for civil society.
Beside working to get sentences about "full and effective participation of
civil society" back into the texts, I think that civil society should also work
to support concrete wording on international implementation and coordination.

At the last GFC meetings, on the 6th- 8th of september, several governements,
among which Brazil, but also some others, made statements about the fact that
they could not be satisfied with a text where no more concrete wording or
engagement on international coordination remains for implementation. In other
words they don't think that the UNGA resolution 57/270 is enough. They are not
satified with §14 c)"The modalities of coordination of implementation
activities among the UN agencies should be defined by the UN Secretary General
on the basis of existing practices within the UN system and within the WSIS.
The experience of, and the activities undertaken by, UN agencies in the WSIS
process—notably ITU, UNESCO and UNDP—should continue to be used to their
fullest extent;"

The governements who mentionned their disatisfaction with this sentences said
for example for Brazil that the UN-secretray-general had to receive guidelines
and directions from the states to do his coordination work. In other words, he
stated that this is a political and not just a managment issue!). But also
other governements, who are maybe less advanced or progessive, mentionned that
a minimum of follow-up guildelines had to be decided in Tunis. Some positions
are for example that a + 5 or + 10 process has to be decided upon at Tunis.

The question I want to raise, is "can we believe" that there will be an
engagment on follow-up, if only UNGA relolution is mentionned and even if the
texts on SC "effective" participation are improved? I personnaly don't think
so... And share the analyse that this is a strategy to have no international
engagement on implementation, so that all is left upon national governements
and upon noe-liberal approach - or the market...

I looked at the texts from the UN Summits on sustainable development today.
Because those Summits have achieved quite a lot and are often quoted as
examples of open procedures to civil society participation in their follow-up .
The first conference on sustainable development was in Rio in 1992. After Rio,
a commission on sustainable development, depending on ECOSOC was established.
The commission did most of the coordination work for implementation, evaluation
and policy debate. It encouraged civil society participation (in a quite
progesist way from what I was told). But where I wanted to get is this: if you
look at the text from the Rio conference, what was the wording about follow-up
and implementation? How concrete was it? Well, if you look at the text which
are dated 1992, the wording is very concrete.

I copy some parts of the text below, but you can find it also on
http://www.un.org/esa/sustdev/documents/agenda21/english/agenda21toc.htm

So, I really think civil society working on a position to get wording on "how
this follow-up within UNGA resolution 57/270 should be". And that we will have,
since tomorrow to discuss what common ground we can find for such a wording. Do
we want to support a global alliance? Do we need a commission like the CSD? How
can §14, §34 and 35 be improved? And what do we do if we get nothing...?

Regards
Chantal

Extracts from the Rio Summit Action Plan – Agenda 21
(1992),http://www.un.org/esa/sustdev/documents/agenda21/english/agenda21toc.htm

Chapter 38 "International
institutionnal arrangements" -

38.6. The institutional structure envisaged below will be based on agreement on
financial resources and mechanisms, technology transfer, the Rio Declaration
and Agenda 21. In addition, there has to be an effective link between
substantive action and financial support, and this requires close and effective
cooperation and exchange of information between the United Nations system and
the multilateral financial institutions for the follow-up of Agenda 21 within
the institutional arrangement.

INSTITUTIONAL STRUCTURE
A. General Assembly
38.9. The General Assembly, as the highest intergovernmental mechanism, is the
principal policy-making and appraisal organ on matters relating to the follow-
up of the Conference. The Assembly would organize a regular review of the
implementation of Agenda 21. In fulfilling this task, the Assembly could
consider the timing, format and organizational aspects of such a review. In
particular, the Assembly could consider holding a special session not later
than 1997 for the overall review and appraisal of Agenda 21, with adequate
preparations at a high level.

B. Economic and Social Council
38.10. The Economic and Social Council, in the context of its role under the
Charter vis-a-vis the General Assembly and the ongoing restructuring and
revitalization of the United Nations in the economic, social and related
fields, would assist the General Assembly by overseeing system-wide
coordination in the implementation of Agenda 21 and making recommendations in
this regard. In addition, the Council would undertake the task of directing
system-wide coordination and integration of environmental and developmental
aspects of United Nations policies and programmes and would make appropriate
recommendations to the General Assembly, specialized agencies concerned and
Member States. Appropriate steps should be taken to obtain regular reports from
specialized agencies on their plans and programmes related to the
implementation of Agenda 21, pursuant to Article 64 of the Charter of the
United Nations. The Economic and Social Council should organize a periodic
review of the work of the Commission on Sustainable Development envisaged in
paragraph 38.11, as well as of system-wide activities to integrate environment
and development, making full use of its high-level and coordination segments.

C. Commission on Sustainable Development
38.11. In order to ensure the effective follow-up of the Conference, as well as
to enhance international cooperation and rationalize the intergovernmental
decision-making capacity for the integration of environment and development
issues and to examine the progress in the implementation of Agenda 21 at the
national, regional and international levels, a high-level Commission on
Sustainable Development should be established in accordance with Article 68 of
the Charter of the United Nations. This Commission would report to the Economic
and Social Council in the context of the Council's role under the Charter vis--
vis the General Assembly. It would consist of representatives of States elected
as members with due regard to equitable geographical distribution.
Representatives of non-member States of the Commission would have observer
status. The Commission should provide for the active involvement of organs,
programmes and organizations of the United Nations system, international
financial institutions and other relevant intergovernmental organizations, and
encourage the participation of non-governmental organizations, including
industry and the business and scientific communities. The first meeting of the
Commission should be convened no later than 1993. The Commission should be
supported by the secretariat envisaged in paragraph 38.19. Meanwhile the
Secretary-General of the United Nations is requested to ensure adequate interim
administrative secretariat arrangements.

Quoting Parminder <Parminder at ITforChange.net>:

> [...]
> the first few days at the prepcom are crucial and the CS must be very
> pro-active, conscious that much may be getting lost.
>

> On ‘specific follow up’ versus ‘57/270’ Bertrand has anticipated much of my
> response. 57/270 is an add-on and an internal rule-making for UN
> functioning. In that sense it is the very minimum and not a maximum.  Every
> summit is allowed to put in its own follow-up mechanism and these can then
> be coordinated in the 57/270 framework with other follow-ups etc.
>

> So, in this context we need to see some special characteristics of WSIS –
> which doesn’t necessarily make it more important than other summits but
> certainly different – I have discussed these issues a few times earlier –
> about issues being cross-cutting, they being evolving, they often being
> paradigm redefining whereby existing mandates of UN agencies can be limiting
> and used by vested interests to block-out policy discussions on emergent IS
> policy issues. For all these reasons, WSIS needs more specific and more
> multi-pronged follow-up mechanisms. And that was also the logic of the
> original draft.
>

> The specificity of the needed follow-ups for WSIS need not be limited by
> 57/270. And what would be the political mandate and direction given at WSIS
> is not of the same order as the sanitized bureaucratic implementation, ‘as
> per existing rules’. 57/270 is in any case there, and to re-affirm it at the
> summit doesn’t add much. And if that is being done then as Brazil stated at
> the GFC meeting – this Tunis phase was really not needed.
>

> On Ralf’s poser -- >> Why should we push for a
> new playground that is disconnected from the core of the UN>>
>

> We really are not looking for any forum disconnected form the core of the
> UN. Any follow-up mechanism will still be embedded in the core of the UN. I
> mean, if ITU alternative is what is alluded to by Ralf, I will like to say
> that I was never for a ITU led follow-up, I am fine with follow-up in ECOSOC
> framework – even ICT TF is in that framework – but that doesn’t stop world
> leaders to give political direction on setting up specific follow up
> structures. And give clear direction to UN agencies to get the WSIS
> implementation/ follow up integrated into their activities, rather than
> merely say, they ‘could’ do it.
>

> So whatever virtues Ralf mentions about using the WSIS follow up to
> generally improve UN spaces from CS point of view are still available even
> if we go for more well specified follow-up structures.
>

> I think we should be clear that while getting the MSP philosophy more and
> more into global policy spaces is important, this is just one of the
> imperatives we fight for. There is the other issue of keeping up effective
> global policy engagements on IS issues among all actors and ensuring
> effective implementation/ follow-up. And the attempt by US and others to
> minimize political commitment to opening such new spaces is a very political

..