[WSIS CS-Plenary] communication gap

Hiroshi Kawamura hiroshikawamura at attglobal.net
Wed Sep 21 06:04:47 BST 2005

Dear all:

In capacity of the WSIS Disability Focal Point, I am writing to clarify the
communication gap that caused some misunderstanding among Disability Caucus
members.

In the plenary session last morning, as all attended were aware, there was
no French to English interpretation.
Since I was wearing SI earphone on my left ear that works fine, my right ear
which lost hearing at my childhood did not catch the human talk at all. In
addition, I was preparing for the Disability Caucus meeting to follow the
plenary immediately, I could not follow the conversation outside of my
earphone. I noticed that Nenna volunteered to interpret someone's
intervention made in French but I couldn't follow that actually.

At the CS Bureau meeting in the afternoon, I was informed that a new French
Speaking Group dealing with Disability is set up and asked why I did not
make any comment on that at the plenary.

When I met my colleague from Tunisia, I was told that a new group "Reunion
du Caucus Francophone Handicap TIC" hosted by Sindbad Mediterranee will meet
on 21st.

Of course anyone may set up a Caucus in line with the objectives of WSIS,
however, I am afraid that some sense of exclusion due to language barrier
might generate the set up of this new group.

Further more, I checked my e-mail record and official WSIS Disability Caucus
e-mail list. I confirmed that Sindbad Mediterranee has been on the list
since their first participation in PrepCom. I also found one return e-mail
to Sindbad which had a subject in French which I couldn't understand at all.
I replied to that e-mail instantly on July 26 following my standard
procedures for e-mails written in languages that I cannot understand: "Dear
Sir/Madam: I am sorry to say that I cannot read French at all. Please
contact me either in English or Japanese." I even did not know it was a
personal e-mail since I just filter hundreds of e-mails everyday by senders
and delete a lot of spams. What I could do was to get a subject line which I
could understand and select those e-mails need to be handled seriously.
What turned out yesterday afternoon by translation of that particular e-mail
kindly done by my friend from Tunis, the mail was a personal one describing
a sense of isolation from the Disability Caucus information channel written
in French. If I knew that contents, I could respond it in quite different
manner.
I could easily understand the frustration and share the feeling that the
Parallel Event organization process was so complicated and we were left in
difficult conditions until early September when we got the final list of
events. Actually there was almost no fixed information on the parallel
events until September. Communication gap could have increased the
frustration.

This is all what happened.

My message to Reunion du Caucus Francophone Handicap TIC in capacity of WSIS
Disability Focal Point, please discuss issues in language of your choice and
collaborate with Disability Caucus for the fruitful outcome of WSIS in
Tunis.
Taking all those happened into my account, I will request my colleagues in
Disability Caucus with different language capacity to help us by raising the
sensitivity of language and other communication barriers.

I noticed that many people in Palais des Nations expressed me their concerns
on the fragmentation of activities on disability in WSIS context. But I
believe that there will be a common ground to collaborate and eliminate
further misunderstanding.

I am looking forward to the success of Reunion du Caucus Francophone
Handicap TIC meeting today to work together for the fruitful outcome of WSIS
in Tunis and beyond to bridge the digital divide of persons with
disabilities in the world.

Best regards

Hiroshi Kawamura
WSIS CS Bureau Disability Focal Point