[WSIS CS-Plenary] Draft Statement for Sub-Committee B- Inclusion Issues

Elizabeth Carll, PhD ecarll at optonline.net
Wed Sep 21 13:49:57 BST 2005

Richard,

You point out an excellent issue which applies to many content areas.  Many
of us in the area of physical and mental health subscribe to a holistic view
and one which must necessarily take culture into consideration.  However,
translating and operationalizing concepts into a usable and effective
document is quite another matter.

For example, we had much discussion as to using the words "mental health" as
opposed to "emotional well-being", "psychological well-being", or
"psychological health" and others.  This issue arose due to the unfortunate
and erroneous interpretation, in the English language, by some that the
terms mental health and mental illness are often interchanged and seen as
synonymous .  This results in negative connotations of mental health being
associated with stigma, when in reality it is mental illness which has been
associated with stigma.  I think an excellent example is Sylvia's perception
and not wanting to use the term "mental health" with regard to disability
issues.

However, after much discussion, there was a concern as to how the words
"emotional" and "psychological" will be translated into other languages.  It
was determined that in some languages psychological will have a negative
connotation, more similarly related to "psychiatric" with a pathology focus
and that these terms may more likely be incorrectly translated.  In the end
it was decided to use the term "mental health" as this would more likely be
more accurately translated and be consistent and familiar as it is used by
the WHO.

I gave this example, as I am sure there are similar issues with other
content areas and much thought is given to the language which is used in
drafting documents, by the experts in those areas.

I plan on keeping this thread, as it is an excellent discussion of the
issues.

Elizabeth

Dr.  Elizabeth  Carll
International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies;
UN NGO Committee on Mental  Health;
Communications Coordination Committee  for the UN
Tel:  1631-754-2424
Fax: 1631-754-5032
ecarll at optonline.net