[WSIS CS-Plenary] monitoring of sub committee-B 23rd Sep.

Chikako YAMAKI chikakok-tky at umin.ac.jp
Sat Sep 24 06:21:46 BST 2005

Dear all,

Following is my note on the sub-committe B 23rd afternoon.

I'm soryy that I am a premitive note taker in English, but I hope it helps
you a littel.

Best,
Chikako

*******************************
Chikako YAMAKI
chikakok-tky at umin.ac.jp

DAISY Consortium
*******************************

Sub-committee B room $B->->(B 15:10-18:00

1.          Mr. Utsumi from ITU announced that Tunisia government and ITU
and make an agreement on the securities, transportation or other logistical
issues. Minister of Tunisia also appealed that they will guarantee the
internet access, transport, accommodation, and simplifying the procedure of
VISA. Financial supports to the participants from developing country were
mentioned but I couldn$B!G(Bt find the clear and practical information. Chair
celebrated the assignment of agreement. All information on the website of
ITU and Tunisia.

2.          Ambassador Kirkins reported about the decision of the Bureau.
Time allocation of the next week has changed. It will be announced whether
evening session will be taken or not on 6 pm every day. It will be three
substantial meeting form 10:00-13:00, 15:00-18:00 and 19:00-21:00.

3.           Paragraph 1 to 7 in Political Chapeau was read through during
today$B!G(Bs sub-committee. Document WSIS-$B-6(B/PC-3/DT/4(rev.1) was the basis of
the discussion.

l         Intervention from the CCBI

l         Intervention of Chantal Peyer on behalf of the Civil Society. Her
intervention was already posted in the plenary e-mail list.

l         Paragraph 1

 Government delegations (Canada, UK, Australia Switzerland and some other
countries) basically insisted to not to reopen the discussion at Geneva
phase. Ghana, China, Pakistan insist human right contains already so they
don$B!G(Bt want to be here.

Cuba and Iran insisted that they have the duty to include the $B!H(Bfreedom of
expression$B!I(B. Cuba will prepared the new text by Monday.

Almost all the proposal toward paragarah1 were into bracket, the one from
WSIS gender caucus was accepted, and the one from CCBI was not accepted.

l         Paragrah2

Proposal from CCBI and from Cultural Diversity Working Group didn$B!G(Bt had any
comment and they were accepted. CCBI and Egypt & Cuba offer the same (first)
sentence should be change, so Canada point out it and they should be choose
the one proposal as the first sentence. Egypt and Cuba explained their
intention that they tried to highlight the goal of 2nd phase, and set the
goal narrowly rather than global. CCBI, Cuba and Egypt will make one
proposal by Monday chaired by Egypt.

l         Paragraph 3

Saudi Arabia$B!G(Bs concept was accepted, but there was a comment that they
should accord original expression in 2000 declaration, and that they should
employ the expression $B!H(Bgoal and objective$B!I(B. There was some comments on the
$B!H(Bpoverty$B!I(B.

All proposals were bracketed.

l         Paragraph 4

no comment.

l         Paragraph 5

Cuba support the proposal from Norway. US had general comment that we should
respect the Geneva declaration. Vietnam (?) commented said that let disaster
management issue into para20. Pakistan mentioned the importance of knowledge
based disaster preparedness. Switzerland commented to Cuba$B!G(Bs proposal that
they are not the amendment but the new text so they should propose again.

l         Paragraph 6

Proposal from Cultural Diversity Working Group was supported by Russia in
the meaning that they agree the importance of access to knowledge.

l         Paragraph 7

The words in the Discussion in this sentence was on the $B!H(Bcultural
differences$B!I(B used in the Cultural Diversity Group. Egypt and other 2
countries preferred $B!H(Bcultural diversity$B!I(B. UNESCO said $B!H(Bcultural
difference is sensitive$B!I(B but it is not necessary to use in this sentence.

There were other delegations (New Zealand and other) who ask the flour to
comment para7 after the Chair conclude this sentences, so sub-committee on
Monday will begin from the paragraph7.

l         Other comment

Switzerland and Tunisia insist that para of ICT for peace should be included
in the political chapeau, may be after the para11. This proposal is on the
web at the $B!H(Bcontribution from Government$B!I(B.

Saudi Arabia had some comment on para20, para12, para16 in Geneva. It will
be treated next week.

l         Announcement

Discussion on the Political Chapeau will be continued on Monday afternoon,
and followed by Chap1 and Chap4.