[WSIS CS-Plenary] Repsonse on procedural issue

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 08:07:58 BST 2005

Dear Laina,
 Your questions were absolutely legitimate, both in terms of procedure and
spirit,
 In terms of procedure, I understood the show of hands friday evening as an
indication of the desire to have a statement strongly critical of what is
imposed on us. But it cannot be considered as a decision to walk out
completely : there was clearly no unanimity and civil society has no
mechanisms to adopt decisions by majority vote at that stage (and I hope
never). We need to discuss this in plenary (physical and virtual) on monday.

 In spirit, I fully support most of your comments as well as Avri's and
think we should not relinquish our right to speak. We just need to know how
to best use it.
 For the rest of your comments about the process and the way we are forced
to work, thank you so much for both expressing so clearly your concerns and
at the same time trying to move forward.
  I also thank Ralf very much for his comments that are very up to the point
on most of your remarks, particularly on the difficult pace of this PrepCom.
Even the "insiders" have difficulty keeping up and , as Ralf rightly said,
it is the mechanisms governments are imposing on Civil Society during this
PreCom that make our work so hard for "newcomers" and limits our ability to
be as pedagogical as we would like to.
 I was hoping to have a little more time yesterday to address your concerns,
but it was impossible. I will try to send a separate mail today to :
1) give a better background picture and list the main challenges for the
benefit of those coming to the process at that stage
2) propose a strategy for sub-Committe B around a rolling document
 Best
 Bertrand