[WSIS CS-Plenary] Challenging Sub-committee A drafting groups going into closed sessions

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Sun Sep 25 10:46:43 BST 2005

Hi,

I don't think anyone has been representing their opinion as the
opinion of the group.  For over a year now, the co-ordinators of the
Gov Caucus have been very careful to make sure that we all know that
unless it is a written statement that has been discussed in the
caucus, they speak only for themselves, which I would agree, they
have a right to do.

I think that with only a week to go, this sort of internecine
conflict will only distract us from our real goals - to affect the
output of WSIS.  I understand that you and your constituencies have
some late comments that you want to get into the governance
statements.  And I think you have every right to try and get them in,
though as one member of the caucus I am not sure I understand or
agree with it.

I am not a member of the ethics caucus and don't understand, for
example, how to differentiate between the claims of ethics and
advocacy for the restriction of content and the abrogation of freedom
of expression.  ethics is always a difficult measure to apply as we
all have different ethical vantage points.  For example I know that
as a bisexual person my very existence is considered an ethical
affront by many of those who argue for ethical standards, and affront
on a par with pedophilia.  And even though we don't not have a GBLT
caucus, I worry about accepting any language that gives justification
to such attitudes.  I tend to think that we are better off relying on
law when it comes to the issues that many of those who support an
ethical internet espouse.

a.