[WSIS CS-Plenary] Challenging Sub-committee A drafting groups going into closed sessions

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 19:43:56 BST 2005

Dear all,
 I would like to make a few points to help this matter go to rest and avoid
it polluting further our working together :
- this process is very demanding and governements attitude is putting us
under additional stress; after a week of extreme pressure, everybody,
including me the other day, is prone to irritation and misunderstanding;
- Jeanette should be commended for the great job she is doing; everybody now
understands the emotionallly loaded comments she made the other day were on
a personal basis and that it was the result of the deep frustration we all
feel in this present stage; in such situations, wondering whether all this
work is worth it overcomes you in a very powerful way;
- interaction through online posts are very different from interaction in a
room and they also take everybody witness, leading to snowballing effects
that are detrimental to our desire to cooperate;I hope the plenary monday
morning wil allow this matter to cool down;
- as for the notion of Ethics and Values raised by Avri, all I can say is
that anybody that interacts with Laina and the other members of this caucus,
could only testify that they are certainly not in the direction of a
morality approach but rather relentlessly promoting harmony and mutual
respect. More a buddist-type philosophy of compassion than a christian right
affirmation of supreme GOD-driven moral principles (just a quick image of
course)
- finally, I feel very sad that she has unvoluntarily triggered this whole
debate out of a simple question that we have not in fact really addressed
yet : should we or not make statements in the first five minutes ? Laina's
comments were, if I understand well; mostly focusing on that point, and I
also felt that the show of hands merely reflected our desire to make a
statement and not yet a decision to walk out completely.
 Now the statement is being prepared; it will be presented in Plenary and
the question of using or not the five minutes can be debated quietly.
 The week ahead will require delicate strategy decisions and we must prepare
ourselves to discuss them in the greatest spirit of the common interest.
 Looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow.
 Best
 Bertrand