[WSIS CS-Plenary] Report from drafting group III, subcom A

Ralf Bendrath bendrath at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Tue Sep 27 11:50:44 BST 2005

Thanks for the quick report, Vittorio.

One more detail:

> However, civil society proposals got broad support in principle and also
> in practice (especially from the EU ;-) ), even if, in practice, only a
> few of them were adopted. Before the break, Ralf was bold enough to raise
> his hand and take the floor to promote CS positions.

I was explaining one of our suggestions and said that we would also accept
a different approach that was on the table. I then ensured everyone that I
of course knew we had no negotiating rights. The cool thing was that the
chair replied and directly asked me if we would accept this and that way
forward, and also if we could submit language on an issue that is now move
from para 54 to 49. I replied that we would (we're just working on it).

So in a way, it was almost like negotiating. Not sure if I went too far,
but it was a nice precedent. :-)

Ralf