[WSIS CS-Plenary] PLEASE READ: Translation of Plenary list

karen banks karenb at gn.apc.org
Wed Sep 28 12:32:33 BST 2005

dear all

Apologies for trying to grab your attention, which, as we move towards the
end of the endgame of prepcom III, is a challenge indeed ;)

Nonetheless, i wanted to ask everyone to spare a few moments to acknowledge
and if possible give feedback, on the translation service which is being
provided, due to the generosity of Funredes, on the plenary list.

Translation and interpretation needs have been a critical thread running
throughout the entire WSIS process - and we are facing serious challenges
in this prepcom around language and lack of sufficient translation, which
are diverting some caucuses from substantive work.

------
I would like to make sure that everyone on plenary is:
------

1. aware of the translation service that is attached to this list,

If you are interested in the technology, you can follow this link:
http://funredes.org/tradauto

2. who is responsible for it,

FUNREDES is providing this service, at significant cost to their
organisation, but which they are providing as a gesture of good will and
solidarity to the Civil Society active in WSIS

3. that you know how to access postings in english/french/spanish

Every post to plenary is prefaced with a link:
Click http://wsis.funredes.org/plenary/ to access automatic translation of
this message!

If you click on that link, you will be taken to a web-based archive of all
posts to the plenary. If you look to the top left-hand corner, you will see
two links - clicking on either link will take you to a web-based archive of
the same postings, in either french, or spanish

Translation français
Traducción español

4. and, to get some feedback from you on the translation service.

We would be very interested to get some feedback on how you find the
service - in general, the quality of translation, does it allow you to
participate more effectively? anything at all..

This is important as it will allow us to motivate for the use and
resourcing of this tool, for other lists where translation is needed.

** note: the tool does not translate attachments - and so, whenever
possible, you should post text only versions to the list. - feel free to
send your comments offlist to karenb at gn.apc.org and Daniel Pimienta
<pimienta at funredes.org>

all the best
karen