[WSIS CS-Plenary] ALERT: new "terrorist" paragraph 50bisintroduced

Laina Raveendran Greene laina at getit.org
Thu Sep 29 02:09:43 BST 2005

I agree that there may be political, moral or social agenda for this, but we
need to be careful it does have a negative impact on freedom of expression
and other such rights on the Internet. Legitimate NGOs can always be stopeed
in name of protecting against terrorism. There is a very careful balance to
be made here between the need to stop real terrorism (as defined by SG Kofi
Annan in his report to the Millenium Summit terrorism, any action
"........intended to cause death or serious bodily harm to civilians or
non-combatants with the purpose of intimidating ........"

The lack of clear and universally agreed definition makes this a very
ambiguos and dangerous thing to do. I agree that I don't think the
conference has time to discuss this within the short time frame it has. We
may need to exclude it based on its last minute inclusion.

Just a personal thought.

Laina