[WSIS CS-Plenary] ALERT: new "terrorist" paragraph 50bis introduced

Richard Vincent cmvince at isugw.indstate.edu
Thu Sep 29 02:28:26 BST 2005

Archibald,

I agree with you in part regarding general security matters and governments. Yes, security is important but here we are talking about mixing security issues with restraints on freedom of expression that may be too easy to ultimately abuse.  The dangers are too great without specific safeguards built into the document.  I will echo Laina's comments from another recent message that all of this is very precarious.  I do not believe this issue should be considered if an intelligent and thorough discussion cannot be staged.  I would agree with Laina that this may have to be tabled at this point in time.

Rick

Dr. Richard C. Vincent
Professor
Department of Communication