[WSIS CS-Plenary] Contribution Subcommittee B -- Chapters 1 and 4

Gurstein, Michael gurstein at ADM.NJIT.EDU
Thu Sep 29 15:55:06 BST 2005

Not being available to attend the PrepCom in person because of pressures
of work, I'm submitting the attached with the hope that some of my CS
colleagues might see the value in these suggestions and forward them on
my behalf to the appropriate parties.

Attached is a marked up version of the Sunday "Clear Paper".  I've added
some and edited some text that might possibly be of some interest from
two perspectives:
	1. to include in the text the recognition that effective
implementation of ICTs for development can only be done at the local
level and largely by community people themselves--and so far there is
little emphasis placed on this in the current texts

	2. to broaden what is understood as "Evaluation"...Somehow in
the text, evaluation is equated with the definition and collection of
"Indicators"...I've been doing evaluations in this and related areas for
20 years and I can assure you that from the perspective of making a real
contribution to ICT implementation "Indicators" are only one among a
range of possible approaches.  From an implementation perspective "self
and collaborative-assessment" is generally the preferred approach.

Mike Gurstein

Michael Gurstein, Ph.D.
http://web.njit.edu/~gurstein

Chair: Community Informatics Research Network http://www.ciresearch.net

Clinical Professor: School of Management
Associate Research Professor: School of Computing and Information
Science
New Jersey Institute of Technology

Honorary Professor of Informatics: Central Queensland University
Queensland Australia

Honarary Senior Researcher
Centre for Community Networking Research
Monash University: Melbourne Australia

Senior Reearch Associate
Claremont Inforation Technology Institute
Claremont Graduate University
Claremont CA