[WSIS CS-Plenary] RE: startup post from gurstein@adm.njit.edu requires approval

Gurstein, Michael gurstein at ADM.NJIT.EDU
Wed Apr 19 13:12:38 BST 2006

Mr. Kambalov,

Yes, you are correct and my apologies for misreading your original
message... Since it was sent through the "(GA) Startup" e-list I too
hastily took it that the message was referring to the Global Allliance.

However, I should say that even in such areas as "C.11 International and
regional cooperation", that is developing "requests for international
cooperation and assistance on infrastructure development projects",
"public-private partnerships", and "preparation and implementation of
national action plans" those involved would be well advised and would
find the outcomes of their actions to be more realistic, useful and
sustainable if those at the grassroots most directly involved in
implementing these initiatives on the ground were to be included in
their design.

One of the clear findings from research that we are currently conducting
in Canada on the implementation of community based technology
initiatives  <http://www.cracin.ca> http://www.cracin.ca is rhat there
is frequently a deep mismatch between the design of these initiatives
and the realities on the ground and how this directly interferes with
the achievement of the goals of the investments being made and dare I
say, leading quite directly to "skepticism, suspicion or mistrust... "
on the part of those working in the field attempting to make these
programs effective.

Best,

MG