[WSIS CS-Plenary] Process for the Global Alliance - Clarifications and up-dated information

Renate Bloem rbloem at ngocongo.org
Wed Apr 19 22:36:31 BST 2006

Dear all,

Further to my previous post on the very next steps towards the Global
Alliance setting-up, I would like to bring some more clarification about the
on going process. I actually had a telephone conversation with Sarbuland
Khan today which made things somewhat clearer.

Latest development

The ‘small group’ for which Sarbuland Khan would like to have some civil
society participants as soon as possible will have nothing to do with the
Global Alliance Steering Committee. Indeed this ‘small group’ is rather an
informal group of advisors to support and help UN-DESA develop a business
plan towards the establishment of the Global Alliance and its Strategy
Council, from now until next June. Participation in this informal advisory
group will therefore not at all automatically include or exclude membership
into the future three tier structures of the Global Alliance.

As I wrote it on Monday to the Plenary list, UN DESA would like to see that
various components and concerns of civil society be represented within this
advisory grouping, in particular Youth, Gender, Grassroots and Outreach
components involved in the ICT4D framework. This is why I tried to
accelerate the process of setting up this informal small group by proposing
names of those who strongly expressed their interest in the Global Alliance
over the past weeks and/or who represent CS groupings mentioned by Mr. Khan.

Strategy Council / Steering Committee

As for the work and membership to the structures/organs of the Global
Alliance, Sarbuland Khan clarified that the Strategy Council will only meet
and start its work in Kuala Lumpur at the inaugural meeting of the Global
Alliance (19-20 June 2006). -Nomination of CS members to this main organ in
charge of strategic guidance and priority setting must therefore be
finalised in this perspective. More details from UN DESA are still needed
before we start any more structured and transparent nomination process. Note
that the membership to the smaller Global Alliance Steering Committee will
emerge from the composition of the Strategy Council.  Sarbuland Khan
stressed over and over again that the Global Alliance is open to all who
will contribute to the goals of the GA. More information will probably also
be given during the Geneva meeting on the 15 May.

On-line information

Lastly, I was informed that a time table of the next developments will be
set up on line very soon, provisionally on the UN ICT Task Force
(www.unicttf.org <http://www.unicttf.org/> ) to give more detail about the
process between now and the inaugural Global Alliance meeting in June.  See
also Press release dated 17 April on the site and circulated again today on
various lists.

Best

Renata

  _____