[WSIS CS-Plenary] Process for the Global Alliance - Clarifications and up-dated information

Nnenna nne75 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 20 10:18:01 BST 2006

Hi Renate, all

  Hope this finds you well.  As I had noted in my ealier mail to you.  It will be good to get CS collaboration in the Global Alliance structured.  What have ew learnt so far in this WSIS process?  One of them is that when some caucuses lead discussions on ttheir specific thematic areas, stuff got done faster and clearer.

  It was on that understanding that I had proposed that follow up work with Khan be done in collaboration with the Follow-up caucus.  This group, from the work done so far, had shown interest on the issues on the Global Alliance table.

  Thanks to CONGO, for the support, the proposals and for giving clear mesages.

  Best

  Nnenna

Renate Bloem <rbloem at ngocongo.org> wrote:
        v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}        st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }
  Dear all,

  Further to my previous post on the very next steps towards the Global Alliance setting-up, I would like to bring some more clarification about the on going process. I actually had a telephone conversation with Sarbuland Khan today which made things somewhat clearer.

  Latest development
  The ‘small group’ for which Sarbuland Khan would like to have some civil society participants as soon as possible will have nothing to do with the Global Alliance Steering Committee. Indeed this ‘small group’ is rather an informal group of advisors to support and help UN-DESA develop a business plan towards the establishment of the Global Alliance and its Strategy Council, from now until next June. Participation in this informal advisory group will therefore not at all automatically include or exclude membership into the future three tier structures of the Global Alliance.

  As I wrote it on Monday to the Plenary list, UN DESA would like to see that various components and concerns of civil society be represented within this advisory grouping, in particular Youth, Gender, Grassroots and Outreach components involved in the ICT4D framework. This is why I tried to accelerate the process of setting up this informal small group by proposing names of those who strongly expressed their interest in the Global Alliance over the past weeks and/or who represent CS groupings mentioned by Mr. Khan.

  Strategy Council / Steering Committee
  As for the work and membership to the structures/organs of the Global Alliance, Sarbuland Khan clarified that the Strategy Council will only meet and start its work in Kuala Lumpur at the inaugural meeting of the Global Alliance (19-20 June 2006). -Nomination of CS members to this main organ in charge of strategic guidance and priority setting must therefore be finalised in this perspective. More details from UN DESA are still needed before we start any more structured and transparent nomination process. Note that the membership to the smaller Global Alliance Steering Committee will emerge from the composition of the Strategy Council.  Sarbuland Khan stressed over and over again that the Global Alliance is open to all who will contribute to the goals of the GA. More information will probably also be given during the Geneva meeting on the 15 May.

  On-line information
  Lastly, I was informed that a time table of the next developments will be set up on line very soon, provisionally on the UN ICT Task Force (www.unicttf.org) to give more detail about the process between now and the inaugural Global Alliance meeting in June.  See also Press release dated 17 April on the site and circulated again today on various lists.

  Best
  Renata