[WSIS CS-Plenary] FW: [startup] From S. Khan: Global Alliance status letter

Gurstein, Michael gurstein at ADM.NJIT.EDU
Tue Feb 14 22:03:14 GMT 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: startup-bounces at unicttaskforce.org
[mailto:startup-bounces at unicttaskforce.org] On Behalf Of Serge Kapto
Sent: February 14, 2006 8:07 PM
To: bridge at unicttaskforce.org
Cc: startup at unicttaskforce.org
Subject: [startup] From S. Khan: Global Alliance status letter

Dear colleague,

I would like to share with you information on the current status of our
work towards the launch of the Global Alliance for ICT and Development.

As you know, a paper on "principles and elements" of the Alliance was
developed as a result of extensive open consultations. I would like to
use
this opportunity to once again express my appreciation to all who
contributed to our discussions.

The paper was finalized in December 2005 in light of the important
outcomes of the World Summit on the Information Society and with a view
ensuring that the future Alliance contributes in an effective,
collaborative and synergistic manner to the follow up processes and
activities as decided by WSIS, and thus advances our common quest of
harnessing the potential of ICT for promoting development.

It is envisaged that the Global Alliance will provide, with its broad
mandate, an innovative, inclusive and interactive channel for
multi-stakeholder input to policy debate to be conducted in
intergovernmental organs - ECOSOC and its Commission on Science and
Technology for Development. The Global Alliance will serve as an
inclusive
multi-stakeholder global platform and forum for policy dialogue on the
use
of ICT for enhancing the achievement of internationally agreed
development
goals.   The Global Alliance would also help organize, multi-stakeholder

events in the context of ECOSOC's reviews of cross-cutting themes
linking
the WSIS outcome to the integrated follow-up to and implementation of
other UN conferences and summits.

Meanwhile, our discussions with all stakeholder constituencies continue.

The positive feedback that we are getting from many diverse stakeholders
-
governments, the private sector, civil society, international
organizations of all types - confirms once again a broad consensus that
such a platform is sorely needed to help enhance coherence of our work
in
ICT for development and assure its tangible development impact. We are
grateful to all partners, especially those who have already expressed
their readiness to provide concrete support to the Alliance, including
through hosting events or seconding staff for its secretariat.

It is my expectation that following approval by the Secretary-General in

the near future, we will reach out to all stakeholders and
constituencies
to invite them to participate in the Global Alliance. We shall also seek

their views as well as their nominations to the oversight and management

bodies of the Alliance, so that the Alliance could become fully
functional
in the first half of this year.

Another important issue that will need to be addressed is the
mobilization
of resources and other kinds of support for the functioning of the
Alliance.

We shall revert to you on these matters in the coming weeks.

I very much look forward to your continued support of this important
initiative.

             Sarbuland Khan