[WSIS CS-Plenary] Next session of CSTD 15-19 May

Jean-Louis FULLSACK jlfullsack at wanadoo.fr
Tue Jan 17 22:18:02 GMT 2006

Dear Rik
Thanks for your info and ... anticipation.
Could you give me in a few words the conditions for an NGO like CSDPTT to be accredited to ECOSOC
and what are the pros and cons of such an accreditation ?
Or simply indicate me a short way for as short explanations and send it to my personal address (jlfullsack at wanadoo.fr)
Once again, many thanks

Jean-louis Fullsack

> Message du 17/01/06 17:54
> De : "Rik Panganiban"
> A : "wsis-cs-plenary"
> Copie à :
> Objet : [WSIS CS-Plenary] Next session of CSTD 15-19 May

Dear Colleagues,

It looks like the next session of the Commission on Science and Technology for Development will occur from 15-19 May in Geneva. No word on whether or not there will be discussion on modifying its mandate and structure in light of the WSIS.  My understanding is that until ECOSOC considers the request of the WSIS at its next substantive session in July, that the CSTD continues to operate under its old mandate and structure.  And thus only NGOs in consultative status with ECOSOC will be allowed to participate.  This is the relevant section from the "Tunis Agenda":

105.     We request that ECOSOC oversees the system- wide follow-up of the Geneva and Tunis outcomes of WSIS. To this end, we request that ECOSOC, at its substantive session of 2006, reviews the mandate, agenda and composition of the Commission on Science and Technology for Development (CSTD), including considering the strengthening of the Commission, taking into account the multi-stakeholder approach.

The ECOSOC substantive session is from July 3-28 in Geneva.

Rik Panganiban
CONGO

Begin forwarded message: