[WSIS CS-Plenary] World Telecommunication Development Conference 7 to 15 March 2006 (Doha, Qatar)

Dr. Francis MUGUET muguet at mdpi.org
Sat Jan 28 09:35:03 GMT 2006

Dear Laurent

> Hello,
>
> I want to participe in this meeting. How to do?

Frankly, it is going to be tough !
1/ Civil Society must be allowed to attend this meeting
2/  Hotel costs are so high
( 450$/night a diplomat told me ) that it is seems unbaarable
for a week, unless you have friends there that can welcome
you.

You should contact the CSB liaison officer ( Renate, alt Viola )
and the CSB executive secretariat ( CONGO )  so that they
could negotiate with Utsumi that Civil Society could be allowed
in the meeting.  I believe this should a first victory
on procedural grounds.   It is unacceptable that WSIS
accredited CS cannot attend a meeting organized by the
very organizer of the WSIS that would examin the WSIS outcome,
is which likely to discuss the CS proposals posted on
the "Open Forum".

The second step should be to ask the ITU to provide fundng,
even for CS people not from LDCs because of the extravagant
hotel costs, to attend this meeting.

Another avenue to explore should be the CSB to contact
in Geneva the mission of  Qatar ( or the Embassy in Bern )
so that some funding could come from the emirate of Qatar,
the emir of Qatar, who protects AlJazzera, prides himself
in being an advanced minded person, so he might be generous
enough to provide  financial help.

I am associating with your efforts, and I ask the CSB liaison
officers and executive secretariat to consider above suggestions,
and I would  be also eager to be there
 if the CSB is successfull
in the above suggested procedural steps.

Yet other avenues on the Civil Society side :
 I contacted yesterday the chairman of the
Kuwait Information Technology Society who
attended the WSIS in Tunis.  Still waiting for his reply.
May be, he could afford to go to nearby Qatar,
and could bring some contacts with the
Qatari Civil Society  that
could help us with  accomodations.
People  like Amir from Iran,  which is very near from Qatar,
or people from India which maintains a large expatriate
community in the gulf could have practical ways
to stay in Doha and could be the voice of the
Civil Society there.

Hope this help

Francis