AW: AW: [WSIS CS-Plenary] CSTD session Tuesday 18 July

Wolfgang Kleinwächter wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Fri Jul 21 09:27:36 BST 2006

Jean Louis:
By the way Wolfgang, could you precise what you call "20th century diplomacy" and "21th century diplomacy" ? I believe that in this curious (it is a euphemism) meeting there were no pilots on board and most of the embarked passengers were amnesic ! Where was the ITU SG, the designated big chief of WSIS+ ?

Wolfgang:
To make it simple: Diplomacy of the 20th century is a purely intergovernmental model (rooted in the Paece of Westphalia and the Vienna Congress system and further developed in the League of Nations and United Nations). It means, that the system of international relations is de facto a system of intergovernmental relations with the government as the only subjct under international law.

Diplomacy of the 21st century - at least in my understanding - recognizes the fact, that there are now also non-governmental actors participating in international relations which are part of the global policy development processes. This leads to a powershft, a redistribution of power and unavoidable to a power struggle (as we have seen now again in Geneva). Governments are fighting for keeping their monopol position in making  international politics (which makes sense in some areas but becomes more and more inefficent in other areas).

The answer to this challenge is multistakeholderism. But so far, nobody knows what MS is in practice. Thatswhy a ECOSOC/CSTD sub-group on the issue could  bebe helpful if the group is constituted - like WGIG - on a multistakeholder basis.

best