[WSIS CS-Plenary] ITU reform (Was WSIS: Golden Book)

Jean-Louis FULLSACK jlfullsack at wanadoo.fr
Tue Mar 7 13:50:22 GMT 2006

Dear Parminder and all
I'd suggest you to read CDSDPTT's proposals that are on the ITU Council site and had been submitted in the timeframe allocated for proposals to the ITU reform. Unfortunately they are in french, but as you know there are some translation tools whih may facilitate their understanding. I 'd like these proposals be taken in account at their largest extent and acknowledged by CS after discussion on the list.
We mustn't just focalise to open access to ITU documents, but fight for ITU acknowledging CS as a Member with the same rights as its Private Sector members. This is perfectly in our reach especially if we priviledge CS membership in the Development Sector (ITU-D). I once again stress the point that in no case CS is to pay PS-like fees for this membership even at the tariff asked for "Associated Members", a category of members with restricted rights recently created by the ITU.
If necessary, I'm ready to translate some of the most important issues and suggestions in my proposals. In any case, as far as ITU reform is concerned, CSDPTT has shown since the very beginning of the defunct WSIS process its commitment, and submitted according proposals for a "changed and strong ITU". Therefore we claim our active presence in any kind of CS organisation aimed at ITU reform issues and proposals.
As far as the addressees of our proposal are concerned, I'd suggest the letter be sent to the Secretary general with a copy to the ITU Council ; a stronger and more effective way would consist in sending a copy individually to the 40 or so countries (why not by national organisations to their respective gouvernement) members of the Council. The letter should ask the addressees to put our proposals on the Agenda of the Plenipotentiary Conference in October, the only place for decision taking upon ITU gouvernance.
Its a problem of internal ITU reform, and beyond that of inclusive international cooperation and multilateralism. Just what we need urgently in the WSIS objectives implementation and follow-up, and not only for Action Line C2 !
Best
Jean-Louis Fullsack
CSDPTT, France