[WSIS CS-Plenary] Language of Background note on the future role of the CSTD

Jean-Louis FULLSACK jlfullsack at wanadoo.fr
Wed May 10 19:21:23 BST 2006

(In French below)

Nearly all documents recently issued and relevant to the May meetings in Geneva are in English;
This is no longer bearable for the most of NGOs from non English speaking countries i.e. for the large majority of CS. In addition to its unfairness this situation is not compliant with the rules on UN meetings and their relevant documents. This applies specially to the forwarded "Background" document.on WSIS follow-up.
Therefore I ask for obtaining the preparatory documents to these important meetings at least in the three basic UN languages.
in French :
Presque tous les documents publies recemment et relatifs aux reunions de Mai a Geneve sont en anglais.
Cela n'est plus supportable pour la plupart des ONG des pays non anglophones, c'est-a-dire pour la plus grande majorite de la SC. Outre son injustice, cette situation n'est pas conforme aux regles relatives aux reunions des Nations unies. Cela concerne en particulier le document sur le "Background" du processus de suivi du SMSI.
C'est pour ces raisons que je demande d'obtenir les documents preparatoires pour ces reunions importantes au moins dans les trois langues de base des Nations unies.
Jean-Louis Fullsack
CSDPTT - France

> Message du 10/05/06 11:07
> De : "CONGO WSIS - Philippe Dam"
> A : plenary at wsis-cs.org, bureau at wsis-cs.org, followup at wsis-cs.org
> Copie à : "'Renate Bloem'" , "'Alejandra'"
> Objet : [WSIS CS-Plenary] TR: Background note on the future role of the CSTD

Dear all,

You will find enclosed a informal Background Note on the future role of the CSTD in the WSIS follow-up, prepared in the perspective of the up-coming meetings on this issue, in particular the consultation convened by ECOSOC Chairperson on 16 May. It’s been prepared by the CSTD Secretariat at UNCTAD.
This informal note is intended to propose options based on the previous consultations and facilitate preparations for the ECOSOC deliberations on the reform of the CSTD.

By the way, note the comments on the role of the Global Alliance (pages 6 and 7) in this framework.

Best regards,
Philippe Dam