[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [governance] Re: [Kofi Annan nominates IFGAdvisory Group

Veni Markovski veni at veni.com
Fri May 19 07:01:02 BST 2006

Hi.

At 10:38 AM 19.5.2006 '?.'ЪЪ┬Ж  +0900, Izumi AIZU wrote:
>I agree most of what Milton wrote, perhaps with more
>cautious tones than him.

I don't agree with "most of what Milton wrote".
Actually I read some bitterness between the
lines, but may be I am wrong, or may be my
understanding of English is different from yours.

>First, congratulations to those who are selected out of
>our nomination/recommendation, Adam, Gemma, Jeanette
>Qusai and Robin.

Absolutely - quite well done! Congratulations!

>But, what strikes me is, as Milton and many of you may feel the same way,
>dominance of government and "technical community" especially
>from ICANN stakeholders/operators, but very few from the Civil Society
>in a narrow sense.

Izumi, this strikes me, "CS in a narrow sense"? I
am part of the CS, and I don't accept if someone
will name is as part of the ICANN. I am a member
of the Board for a term; I am not staff. I don't
accept anyone to call me an "ICANN agent", and in
fact I find this unfair and quite rude.
Now, if you look at
http://www.intgovforum.org/contributions/IGF-themes.pdf
you will find out that CS (in the field of
critical Internet resources and public policy
issues, related to IG) according to the IGP
are... the IGP itself and ALAC? Is this CS in a [very] narrow sense?

There are people from different organizations,
but they are staff, and they may have the right
to represent them. See Theresa (ICANN), Matthew
(ISOC), Patrik (IETF/IAB) - who, btw, is going to
be on the ISOC Board from July 1st, and others
representatives of the relevant international organizations.
But you seem to have missed something very
important. See
http://www.intgovforum.org/contributions/ISOC%20Bulgaria.rtf
. We suggested it, and the Secretariat obviously
have listened to our recommendation.
The WSIS Para 62+ were clear, that
"representatives of the relevant organizations" -
ICANN, ISOC, ITU, UNESCO should be invited. Or at
least this is how we read the document.
The fact that the AG also has people who are from
other organizations - e.g. the Internet
Governance Project of Milton & partners, shows
that he does not really have ground for
complaints. Thinking about it, Milton's project
got 1 out of 6 people
(http://internetgovernance.org/people.html),
that's a good ratio. That's better than ISOC,
where there are more than 6 people staff, and
20,000+ members worldwide, but they have only 1 (Matthew) representative.

>While there is seemingly "consensus" not to discuss ICANN related issues
>here at IGF, but rather in the closed "enhanced cooperation" process,
>then why so many ICANN related folks are here?
>This is quite strange to me. Any explanation?

Again - everyone is ICANN-related here. What
about Adam Peak? Isn't he now on the NomCom? :)

>Where are the spam, security, multilingual experts?

Check out
http://www.cybersecuritycooperation.org/parvanov.html
(search for "Internet Society" on that page). Or
check http://veni.com/currentwork.html.

check out www.isoc.bg/kpd/

>I think the Civil society memebrs there in Geneva should
>express our initial serious concerns about the composition
>and the direction of the MAG.

We could do that, but let's not forget something
else - CS got 5 out of 15 people suggested.
that's 1 out of every 3. Not bad. And let's not
forget that some of the suggested people were
actually involved in the WSIS, WGIG, etc. Which
means they can continue to contribute in one or
another capacity. Or am I wrong?

best,
Veni