[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [governance] Re: [Kofi Annan nominates IFGAdvisory Group

ian.peter at ianpeter.com ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Fri May 19 04:39:02 BST 2006

Let's try and interpret it a little bit differently -

I for one welcome the fact that both ICANN and ISOC have been brought to the
table on this and are well represented. I wouldn't quite describe most of the
chosen representatives as the "technical community" however. I'm glad
also that
a diversity of the views within the broad ICANN community will be represented.

The current committee is not surprising if the agenda is what is was when
Internet governance first hit the WSIS agenda. And if the agenda is UN
involvement in current governance structures, it's not a bad committee to
discuss this sensibly and look for some more appropriate avenues for
participation. I interpret this committee as indicating that that is the real
agenda.

I think to a degree we had thought of this as something of a "Program
Committee"
and that WSIS was a done deal that left ICANN untouched. But now I don't think
this is a Program Committee primarily.

Despite some of the very good individual talents in the committee, I think it
will result in the range of concerns which should be addressed being narrowed
rather than broadened.

That being said, I agree with Izumi that it would be good to communicate
concerns (or at least ask some good questions) about the composition and
direction of the MAG.

Ian Peter