[WSIS CS-Plenary] Conference invitation to all faiths

malik khan motamar at gmail.com
Fri May 19 11:51:24 BST 2006

World Council of Muslim Communities

PO Box 143164

Coral Gables, FL  33114-3164

Dear Doctor Bajwa:
 Assalamu alaikum.

I wish to thank you very much for your recent communication and suggestions
concerning the current state of affairs of the Muslim world and my
proposition to hold an international conference to address the underlying
problems with a view to finding their solutions.  Within this context, our
immediate desire is to produce an amicable environment in which the
Ummat-al-Islamiyyah could honorably ensure its survival and existence,
preserve its integrity and dignity and sustain its well-being and prosperity
without internal tensions and external threats.  Its past puissance and
glory ought to be recovered, its sublime values and traditions revived, and
its universal truth and virtue need to prevail.  This will lead us to dwell
on four salient features of the "Islamic Basics."

Firstly, in highlighting the "Islamic Fundamentals," we aspire to
demonstrate that Islam is a religion of peace and harmony, order and
tranquility, modesty and decency, tolerance and moderation, and mercy and
grace.  With its concept of fraternity and universality, it proclaims
goodwill towards all and cherishes no ill will against others.  With its
emphasis on piety and purity, it preaches honest living and condemns
treacherous deeds.  Accordingly, its contributions to the welfare of mankind
and the treatment of the earth are immense.  Indeed, it was Muslims'
pioneering spirit and ingenuity that raised comprehension in vast arrays of
arts, sciences, and humanities. Muslims made significant advances in the
fields of administration, agriculture, agronomy, architecture, astronomy,
biology, botany, calligraphy, cartography, chemistry, education,
engineering, geography, geology, history, horticulture, human rights,
hydrology, jurisprudence, law, linguistics, literature, medicine,
metallurgy, metaphysics, philosophy, physics, politics, sociology, and
theology. Exposure to the advanced ideas of these reformers, thinkers,
discoverers, innovators, and builders propelled a world sunk in ignorance
and decadence to cast away the pall of the Dark Ages and embrace the
Renaissance.  The ideas and discoveries advanced by Muslims truly gave a
dynamic boost to human civilization and provided undeniably a vigorous push
to Western thinkers.

Secondly, within the scope of "Muslim Unity," we aim at exploring ways and
means of abating tension within the Islamic fold and attempting to bring all
the elements of the Ummah together on the premises of Tauheed-o-Sunnah.  The
Ummah are to be urged to sincerely respond to the Godly as well as worldly
demands.  This is to be accomplished through Tajdeed and Taleem, as enjoined
by the Divine dictates and the holy injunctions. In thus "clinging fast to
the rope of Allah," the Ummah ought to manifest as a unified whole within
the range of flexibility allowed by Al-Islam.

Thirdly, through a focus on "Interfaith Dialogue," we want to combat the
spread of maliciously distorted views of Islam and Muslims that promote
prejudice and intolerance. Slander and blasphemy ought to be disdained,
mischief should be smoked out, and scandalous misunderstandings must be
resolved.  The Islamic ideals of human entirety and amicability should be
promoted, thereby building bridges of mutuality and understanding between
Muslims and non-Muslims, particularly amongst the "Peoples of the
Book."  Similarly,
the Islamic concept of religiosity (i.e., freedom and protection of all
faiths, sufferance and accommodation of all creeds, respect for all
apostles, safeguarding of all scriptures, safety of all sanctuaries,
guarantee and allowance of all rites) should be made known both in words and
deeds.  Specially, as offspring of the common ancestors, there must be much
sense of forbearance and endurance among the three Holy Religions of
Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.  So, remaining within the permissible
limits of Islamic moderation in the truest spirit of Tableegh, the ideas of
"coexistence" as well as of "live and let live" among various multi-racial
and multi-religious societies must be advanced.  Within the Islamic tenor of
benevolence, in rejecting the confrontational instigations of "clash of
civilizations," the synergistic notion of "cooperation among civilizations"
should be adopted. Of course, as you aptly said, "we must mobilize young
people around the world to shatter the mistrust of past grievances and to
foster a new spirit of tolerance and mutual respect."

Lastly, on the basis of these precepts, teachings, and relationships, we
expect to forge under the banner of "Impending Prospects" a sanguine and
optimistic future for the all mankind in which planet Earth is saved from
the destructive course man has been blindly and lustfully led to tread.  In
such a vision of felicity and blessing, with a terrestrial paradise under
his feet, man shall be able to feel the bliss of his celestial destiny.

**********

To be convened under the auspices of the World Council of Muslim
Communities, which is an established international organization with status
with the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) of the United Nations and the
United Nations Department of Public Information (DPI), the venue of the
conference will be Miami (Florida).  While it has been decided to be a
one-day meeting to be held on a Saturday, the exact date is yet to be
determined.

The conference will be organized into four plenary sessions (one in the
forenoon, three in the afternoon), dealing respectively with the four
abovementioned general themes, with an equal number of working groups
attached thereto to discuss specific issues within each general topic.  While
the opening and closing sessions will be graced by two chief guests, who
will deliver their addresses, each plenary session as well as working group
will have its own chairperson/ moderator for its conduct.  The drafting
committee as duly constituted shall be responsible for keeping the minutes
of proceedings and preparing a declaration, to be finally approved by the
general assembly.  The logistics of the conference shall be organized,
managed, and operated by a chief coordinator and his staff as appropriate.

Prospective attendees shall be drawn from all enlightened communities,
organizations, and institutions around the world.  They shall be invited, if
they so desire, to produce papers on any pertinent topics under general or
specific subjects.  Participating scholars shall particularly be urged to
abide by this request.  Normally, papers shall be of 20-40 double spaced
typewritten or computer-based pages, with single space citations within the
text and single space footnotes at the bottom of corresponding pages with
margins as appropriate.  Each paper shall be accompanied by a one-page
abstract, highlighting its substance and to be submitted prior to the
convening of the conference.  Each speaker shall be afforded ten to a
maximum of fifteen minutes to present to the session a summary of his paper

The conference shall receive full print and electronic media coverage,
including appearances on radio and televisions, on relevant interfaith
questions.

The proceedings of the conference, along with the papers, shall be published
in a collected form and distributed all over the world as deemed
appropriate.

                                                            **************

By the grade of Allah Subhanahu wa Ta`ala and the blessing of the Holy
Prophet (Sallalahu `Alaihi wa Sallam), it is expected that this initiative
will spark an ongoing process of outreach everywhere to those mired in
discouragement or antagonism, opening them to the expansive and reassuring
possibilities of positive change.  In thus opening up vistas of friendship,
trust, and cooperation, this process will kindle the light of hope and
inspiration for a better future.

The Council is presently working on organizational/functional and
logistic/participatory matters, as necessary, with a view to evolving a
concrete program and its timely dissemination.  We will keep you posted of
all the developments.  And, as ever, we will continue to count on your
support and guidance.

Thanking you in anticipation.  With kindest regards and best wishes,

Wassalam,

Dr Malik Sardar Khan