[WSIS CS-Plenary] [governance] Re: [Kofi Annan nominates IFGAdvisory Group

Lee McKnight LMcKnigh at syr.edu
Fri May 19 04:57:24 BST 2006

Izumi,

 Is it a surprise that governments and other institutions such as ICANN
throw their weight around?

Or that ICANN is there in force after the WSIS lesson (you snooze you
lose) CS gave to both parties?

ICANN was on the sidelines before, trying desperately to stay there.
That didn't seem to have worked very well as a strategy, eh? So next
time around, try engagement. Which IGF will need to succeed.

So to put a positive spin on this, a new UN institution is being
crafted/having its agenda set over the coming months.  On Internet
governance.

And now USG (or ex-usg) heavy hitters, government ministers, and yes
ICANN want in on the game.  And are squeezing CS slots.  So guess what,
ICANN issues are fair game - careful what you wish for, you may get it.

But IGF agenda I think is still up for debate, and that's where CS
issues and perspective is key.   Let's set the agenda! And let the other
stakeholders come around to their own eventual recognition that the CS
agenda is the right one for IGF. (Ok, i'm an optimist when not being a
political relaist : )

Lee

Prof. Lee W. McKnight
School of Information Studies
Syracuse University
+1-315-443-6891office
+1-315-278-4392 mobile

>>> aizu at anr.org 5/18/2006 9:38 PM >>>
I agree most of what Milton wrote, perhaps with more
cautious tones than him.

First, congratulations to those who are selected out of
our nomination/recommendation, Adam, Gemma, Jeanette
Qusai and Robin.

But, what strikes me is, as Milton and many of you may feel the same
way,
dominance of government and "technical community" especially
from ICANN stakeholders/operators, but very few from the Civil Society
in a narrow sense.

While there is seemingly "consensus" not to discuss ICANN related
issues
here at IGF, but rather in the closed "enhanced cooperation" process,
then why so many ICANN related folks are here?
This is quite strange to me. Any explanation?

Where are the spam, security, multilingual experts?

I mean, from the CS: privacy, human right, free speech experts.

I think the Civil society memebrs there in Geneva should
express our initial serious concerns about the composition
and the direction of the MAG.

izumi

     governance at lists.cpsr.org