[WSIS CS-Plenary] Next WSIS implementation and follow-up meetings - Action Line Facilitation and CSTD

Jean-Louis FULLSACK jlfullsack at wanadoo.fr
Fri Oct 13 22:24:26 BST 2006

Dear Philippe and all

I do hope there will be "something" on Action Line # 2 before May next year ! Of course, ITU, the AL-2 primary coordnator, is busy with the preparation of its Plenipotentiary conference. But this isn't an excuse for such a long inactivity..
Second, the CSTD Experts Panel meeting is only "open" for NGO with ECOSOC status. This is in opposition with former promises (including those of CNGO) that allowed any WSIS accredited NGOs to participate in the WSIS-Follow-up meetings on an equal basis with ONGs with ECOSOC Status.
Once again, the CS community is divided and "CS inclusion in WSIS" is just a dream ...
Finally, we would appreciate that these important news be in all three official languages of the UN. Many thanks.for your efforts.
All the best
Jean-Louis Fullsack

> Message du 11/10/06 20:32
> De : "CONGO WSIS - Philippe Dam"
> A : plenary at wsis-cs.org, bureau at wsis-cs.org
> Copie à : "'Renate Bloem'" , wsis at ngocongo.org
> Objet : [WSIS CS-Plenary] Next WSIS implementation and follow-up meetings - Action Line Facilitation and CSTD

Dear all,

After a pretty busy 2nd session of the UN Human Rights Council, please find below some information regarding up-coming events related to WSIS follow up and implementation:
-          Action Line Facilitation meetings organised by UNESCO in October 2006;
-          CSTD Expert Panel – 6-8 November 2006;
-          Cluster of WSIS related meetings – 15-25 May 2007;

Action Line Facilitation meetings convened by UNESCO – 16-22 October 2006, Paris and Beijing

> Consultation meeting on action line C-3 "Access to Information and Knowledge" (Room IV, UNESCO HQ, Paris, France)
> More information - Invitation letter (English - French)
> Consultation meeting on action line C-10 "Ethical Dimension of the Information Society" (Room IV, UNESCO HQ, Paris, France)
> More information - Invitation letter (English - French)
> Consultation meeting on action line C-7e "E-Learning" (Room IV, UNESCO HQ, Paris, France)
> More information - Invitation letter (English - French)
> Consultation meeting on action line C-9 "Media" (Room IV, UNESCO HQ, Paris, France)
> More information - Invitation letter (English - French)
> Consultation meeting on action line C-7 "E-science" (Huarun Hotel, Beijing, China)
> More information - Invitation letter
> Further information, including documentation of the meetings, agendas and on line registrations are available on the UNESCO website.
> In addition, note that a regularly up-dated calendar of WSIS related event is available at: http://www.csbureau.org/posttunis.htm

CSTD Expert Panel – 6-8 November 2006, Paris (UNESCO Headquarters)

The annual inter-session panel convened by the CSTD Secretariat will be held in Paris on the theme “Promoting the building of a people-centred, development-oriented and inclusive information society, with a view to enhancing digital opportunities for all people”.

More information is available on the UNCTAD website.

Participation is open to NGOs in Consultative Status with ECOSOC. To register, representatives of NGOs in Consultative Status with ECOSOC have to send an e-mail indicating their interest to mongi.hamdi at unctad.org or stdev at unctad.org.

Findings and recommendations to emerge from this Panel will be considered by the Commission at its tenth session in May 2007.

Cluster of WSIS related events – 15-25 May 2007

As initiated this year around the 9th CSTD session, international organisations, in charge of facilitating implementation at the international level, are exploring ways to organise a cluster of WSIS Action Line Facilitation meetings in conjunction with the up coming celebration of the World Information Society Day (17 May 2007) and of the 10th session of the CSTD (21-25 May 2006).

A provisional timetable of this cluster of meetings between 15 and 25 May 2007 is available here and will be regularly up-dated.
More information will come later.

Best regards,

Philippe Dam

Philippe Dam
> CONGO - WSIS CS Secretariat
> 11, Avenue de la Paix
> CH-1202 Geneva
> Tel: +41 22 301 1000
> Fax: +41 22 301 2000
> E-mail: wsis at ngocongo.org
> Website: www.ngocongo.org

The Conference of NGOs (CONGO) is an international, membership association that facilitates the participation of NGOs in United Nations debates and decisions. Founded in 1948, CONGO's major objective is to ensure the presence of NGOs in exchanges among the world's governments and United Nations agencies on issues of global concern.  For more information see our website at www.ngocongo.org