[WSIS CS-Plenary] Practical & Procedural Problems at IGF.

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Mon Oct 30 08:59:53 GMT 2006

Dr. Francis MUGUET ha scritto:
> In constrat with other WSIS meetings, they were
> no discussions with CSB, and no
>  preliminary meetings between the organizers
> and the CSB executive secretariat to handle
> all those practical and procedural issues.

Francis,

I totally and wholeheartedly agree with your complaints, and anyone
reading the governance list knows that I've been very hard to the way
this IGF is organized, up to the point of drafting a protest statement.

However, I am surprised by your conclusion as quoted above.

There have been civil society people working on IGF since just after
Tunis - some (not I) were involved in the practical IGF organization and
may tell you the reason of all those shortcomings. Others, like me, have
been spending one year pushing issues, sending documents, organizing
workshops, and coordinating with everyone else on the Internet
Governance Caucus list. We volunteered weeks of work, and never saw the
CSB active once in this process.

To be very frank, I think that the CSB, while being precious and active
in other places, at this present point in time has no role or authority
in the IGF process. You can't show up at the last minute and cry, I knew
it all, why didn't people ask me for orders. I am sure that the Internet
Governance Caucus is ready to participate in a reconstituted civil
society plenary and bureau, but on the basis of a well defined bottom-up
delegation of roles and responsibilities, not on a self-righteous,
top-down claim of authority like yours. There are no kings among
ourselves, we are all peers and we attribute roles based on mutual
trust, respect, and activity.

Please start to come to IGC meetings, that's the only way you can gain a
role for yourself in this process and feel included.

Thanks,