[WSIS CS-Plenary] Practical & Procedural Problems at IGF.

Dr. Francis MUGUET muguet at mdpi.org
Mon Oct 30 17:18:26 GMT 2006

Dear Vittorio

 > I totally and wholeheartedly agree with your complaints, and anyone
 > reading the governance list knows that I've been very hard to the way
 > this IGF is organized, up to the point of drafting a protest statement.

It is good to see that we are not exactly at convergence,
but only a few iterations are required.

 > We volunteered weeks of work, and never saw the
 > CSB active once in this process.

Complaining that the CSB has been unactive until very recently
concerning the IGF is a true paradox !
The IGC caucus has a representative at the CSB.
( currently Bertrand, but I guess that the IGC has to replace
him now, since he is now a diplomat )
Therefore, in line with a bottom-up process
( an approach that you are advocating )  the IGC should have
reached the CSB through its contact,
and requested assistance concerning procedural and practical issues.
If no family requests CSB for assistance concerning a specific event,
then the CSB which is not a sovereign nor a king,  is not going
to spend limited ressources on something some people seem to be
handling, with the MAG as an official interface.
It appears now  that the CSB should be involved in the
procedural aspects of the preparation of the next IGF in Rio.
Of course, the IGC representative at the CSB should play
a major role.
The contact with the host country is going to be much easier
than with Greece, and already the Brazilian representative
( strong supporter of free software as you are :-) ) told me that
if he would welcome a list of the things that went wrong in Athens,
not to commit the same mistakes.

> Please start to come to IGC meetings, that's the only way you can gain a
> role for yourself in this process and feel included.

The root of the problem originates from the WGIG nomination process
when several thematic working groups felt excluded from the process
with the "connector" thing. I was not among the connectors,
so this is not a personnal question.

Now time has passed, but we can feel today, that the non participation
of enough free software activists ( you are one of them, but we need
to be many more of us ) to internet gouvernance discussions has resulted
in that "Free Software", the very software that powers most of the
internet infrastrucure was never been mentionned. even once,
in the Openning ceremony by a single speaker... :-(
Idem for Open Access.

Now, learning from this fact, and
although I do not see it as the
sole channel of expression, nor do I seek a role, it appears
that it could have been fruitfull to participate in
some of the IGC list discussions,  so that free software should
not be omitted,  however just as an active observer,
( not as a silent observer as now ).

Best regards

Francis

> Thanks,

  Francis F. Muguet  Ph.D
  MDPI  Open Access Journals -  Associate Publisher
  http://www.mdpi.org  muguet at mdpi.net

  Knowledge Networks & Information Society Lab. (KNIS)
  http://www.knis.org  http://www.ensta.fr/~muguet
  E.N.S.T.A  32 Boulevard Victor  muguet at ensta.fr
  75739 PARIS CEDEX FRANCE
  (33) 01.45.52.60.19 -- Fax: (33) 01.45.52.52.82

  WSIS  World Summit on the Information Society
  Chair Scientific Information WG http://www.wsis-si.org
  Co-chair Patents & Copyrights WG htt://www.wsis-pct.org

  Multi-Stakeholders UN agency proposal  http://www.unmsp.org

  WTIS World Tour of the Information Society
  http://www.wtis.org  muguet at wtis;org