[WSIS CS-Plenary] Renewal of membership in the GAID Steering Committee

karen banks karenb at gn.apc.org
Tue Aug 21 12:05:31 BST 2007

hi philippe and all

>Very little feedback has been shared at this stage among us about
>the issue of the renewal of the GAID Steering Committee membership.
>In my previous message I had thrown to you the idea that CS members
>of the Strategy Council would make a recommendation to the UN GAID Secretariat.

sorry about that, many things going on..

>Some support to this proposal was expressed on the CS Plenary
>Listserv. Parminder proposed that a nominations committee composed
>of CS members of the Strategy Council / High Level Advisors
>(involved in CS processes in WSIS and post WSIS) would recommend
>three names to the GAID Secretariat for the Steering Committee seat
>(See e-mail attached).

so, this would be different to last time round -  the nomcom
wouldconsist of current GAID SC/AG members and they would identify
potential candidates (3) for the SC..

philippe - could you post a list of current members?  ad the various
layers etc

i have to admit i've forgotten exactly who everyone is.. and, why are
we talking about 3 candidates - is that how many seats are currently
occupied by CS folk? (again, apologies, should know this but have forgotten)

>Such a process seems workable even through the short deadlines. If
>there is no objection, I would be happy to quickly refine the
>process guidelines and timelines in that spirit (based on your
>feedback please!). Urgent issues:
>-          identifying volunteers for the nominations committee
>among CS members of Strategy Council / HL Advisors;
>-          identifying candidates for the CS seat in the Steering Committee;

well, without having given much thought, nor having consulted APC
colleagues, it sounds like a sensible plan..
(so, this is my personal opinion)

karen