[WSIS CS-Plenary] Renewal of membership in the GAIDSteering Committee

CONGO WSIS - Philippe Dam wsis at ngocongo.org
Tue Aug 21 15:48:34 BST 2007

>>Some support to this proposal was expressed on the CS Plenary
>>Listserv. Parminder proposed that a nominations committee composed
>>of CS members of the Strategy Council / High Level Advisors
>>(involved in CS processes in WSIS and post WSIS) would recommend
>>three names to the GAID Secretariat for the Steering Committee seat
>> (See e-mail attached).
>
>so, this would be different to last time round -  the nomcom
>would consist of current GAID SC/AG members and they would identify
>potential candidates (3) for the SC..

Due to the time available and the number of seats, but also in order to
increase the ownership of the recommendation, it was indeed proposed that a
nominations committee for the *steering committee* seat would be identified
through the out-coming CS members of the Strategy Council and HL Advisors.

The last CS self-nomination process for GAID in May 2006 was for the
*Strategy Council*. I think that a wide and open ended process, similar to
the last round, should be run for the Strategy Council renewal (to be
finalised in November 2007).

>philippe - could you post a list of current members?  ad the various
>layers etc
>
>i have to admit i've forgotten exactly who everyone is.. and, why are
>we talking about 3 candidates - is that how many seats are currently
>occupied by CS folk? (again, apologies, should know this but have
>forgotten)

Find below and attached the list of outgoing CS members of the GAID main
structures (Steering Committee, Strategy Council and HL Panel of Advisors).

There are 2 CS representatives (currently Renate and Titi) in the 10 member
Steering Committee. For the sake of continuity, the GAID Secretariat is
willing to maintain one of them and to renew the other one. The GAID
Secretariat did not yet announce who will stay (fyi, Renate informed the
GAID Secretariat that she is available and willing to serve for one more
year).

>>Such a process seems workable even through the short deadlines. If
>>there is no objection, I would be happy to quickly refine the
>>process guidelines and timelines in that spirit (based on your
>>feedback please!). Urgent issues:
>>-          identifying volunteers for the nominations committee
>>among CS members of Strategy Council / HL Advisors;
>>-          identifying candidates for the CS seat in the Steering
>>Committee;
>
>well, without having given much thought, nor having consulted APC
>colleagues, it sounds like a sensible plan..
>(so, this is my personal opinion)
>
>karen

Steering Committee (CS members) - One seat to be renewed according to the
GAID Secretariat guidelines
Titi Akinsanmi
Renate Bloem

Strategy Council (CS members)
1.	Kamel Ayadi, President, World Fed. of Engineering Associations
(Tunisia)
2.	Rodrigo Baggio, Executive Director, Committee for Democracy in
Information Technology (Brazil)
3.	Peter Bruck, President, World Summit Award (Austria)
4.	Astrid Dufborg, Executive Director, GeSCI
5.	Hiroshi Kawamura, Daisy Consortium, (Japan)
6.	Janet Longmore, President, Digital Opportunity Trust (Canada)
7.	Tracey Naughton, Media Caucus (S. Africa/Australia)
8.	AHM Bazlur Rahman, CEO, Bangladesh NGOs Network for Radio and
Communication
9.	Lynn St. Amour, President/CEO, Internet Society
10.	Lynn M. Wanyeki, Executive Director, FEMNET (Kenya)

High Level Panel of Advisors (CS members)
1.	Rinalia Abdul Rahim, Global Knowledge Partnership, Malaysia
2.	Izumi Aizu, GLOCOM, Japan
3.	Qusai Al-Shatti, Kuwait Iformation Technology Society
4.	Roberto Bissio, Instituto del Tercer Mundo, Uruguay
5.	Derrick Cogburn, Professor, Syracuse University
6.	Papa Ndiaye Diouf, African Diaspora for the Information Society,
Switzerland
7.	William Drake, Graduate Institute for International Studies,
Switzerland
8.	Tatiana Ershova, Institute for Information Society, Russia
9.	Anriette Esterhuyzen, Association for Progressive Communications,
South Africa
10.	Michael Gurstein, Global Telecenter Alliance, Canada
11.	Ann-Kristin Hakansson, Indigenous ICT Task Force, Sweden
12.	Wolfgang Kleinwaechter, Aarhus University, Denmark
13.	John Mathiason, Syracuse University, USA
14.	George Sadowsky, Global Internet Policy Initiative, USA
15.	Henning Wegener, World Federation of Scientists, Germany