[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re:Online Atlas of Millennium Development Goals

Nyangkwe Agien Aaron nyangkweagien at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 09:53:57 BST 2007

That posting reveals some mind searching statistics. Being a product of the
UNDP, an organisation whose track record at stymeing development projects in
less developing countries, begs for some questions on its veracity. A friend
of mine in latin America once wrote to me comcernig UNDP that '"I believe
that they should just scrap this thing-UNDP out" My friend added that the
local Director of UNDP was very reluctant in disbursing funds necessary for
the smooth carrying out  of the project the friend was carrying there - my
friend did not say if the said Director needed bribe . "Aaron, do you know
one thing, this Director will be the first and the last to leave during
cocktails organized within the frame work of this programme, and you could
see the person eating gorgeousely' and I will feel like snashing the plate
and dumping it to the ground". That same UNDPstory can be told by many NGOs
in less developing countries around the world. If you have a friend that has
once handled a project funded through UNDP, do emquire.

On the other hand, the statistics claimimg that most of the poorest people
in 2015 will be in Africa, is the true projection of the West ambivalent
policies on African pilferers called 'Heads of States'. The West has been
very silent when it comes to making strong policy pronouncement on monies
stolen by African kleptocrats and stashed in Western havens. Of course, it
is his same monies that is taken and reloaned to the poor African masses in
terms of "aids".We cannot talk of fighting poverty when we perpetually keep
others in the state of poverty. That is gimmicking.
The milllenium development goals can only be made if the West accepts to be
transparent in her dealings with Africa.

--
Aaron Agien Nyangkwe
Journalist/Outcome Mapper