[WSIS CS-Plenary] WSIS bracketing format?

McLaughlin, Lisa M. Dr. mclauglm at muohio.edu
Tue Oct 2 16:08:00 BST 2007

Hi Steven,

The term is "square brackets." Here's how the UN defines the action within the context of drafting procedures:

"Square brackets: Typographical symbols placed around text under negotiation to indicate that the language enclosed is being discussed but has not yet been agreed upon. It is possible to have square brackets within square brackets, as there may be disagreement about both the general provision and the specific language."

I think that the orginal source is the General Assembly rules of procedure for drafting documents.

Regards,

Lisa

Lisa McLaughlin, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Mass Communication & Women's Studies
Editor, Feminist Media Studies
Director of Graduate Studies, Master of Arts in Mass Communication Program

Mass Communication
Williams Hall
Miami University-Ohio
Oxford, OH 45056