[WSIS CS-Plenary] Digital Solidarity Fund in risk of disappearing: action required

mgurst at vcn.bc.ca mgurst at vcn.bc.ca
Wed Apr 15 17:55:11 BST 2009

Charles,

Your suggestion re: a global civil society ICT4D network is a very good one
and moreover is one where there has already been considerable discussion.
Also, there are a variety of networks at the national and even global level
that would usefully be part of such a global body... (several of them now
function in a somewhat similar role).

The problem from my experience with these efforts is that there is little
funding available for the establishment and maintenance of these networks.
Funders are interested mostly in one off projects and rarely will provide
"establishment/overhead" funding.

Even though these networks can function largely electronically they still
require maintenance and development which requires attention and effort
which in turn require resources.

The more active these networks become i.e. the more they actually engage in
doing things on the ground rather than simply functioning as discussion
vehicles/e-lists/websites the more such funding is required and as is
clearly visible in this area as in others, "he who pays the piper...

I don't mean to completely discourage such an effort and particularly one
that might function under UN (or other officially sanctioned auspices) but
simply to introduce a bit of caution into the discussion. Thinking through a
funding  (for example a UN trust fund) and governance model in advance might
save a lot of difficulties down the road.

Best,

MBG