[WSIS CS-Plenary] Digital Solidarity Fund in risk of disappearing: action required

Dr. Francis MUGUET muguet at wtis.org
Wed Apr 15 09:53:13 BST 2009

Dear Daniel

The DSF is dead.
It had a serious birth defect
the legal basis of its main financial mechanism was wrong...
To force a supplier to "donate" to a third party, in the context
of a purchase, is called "racket", and  for whatever goof reason this
donation is made.
During WSIS, I warned about.  a swiss DSF proponent
told me that a legal study has been made...
for the city of Geneva.... it turns out that it is one of the few city
in the world that there is a legal hole agains racket....

the overexpenditure of the DSF staff has added to the problem...
to the point of creating a mini-scandal
and now there is a lack of credibility
and confidence....

better dissolve the current DSF, to start a completely new one,
transparent from the onset, with a new financial supporting
mechanism.

This could be discussed, and there is a CSTD recommandation
that would allow that.

I would call that the real emergency is the recommendation
that the CSTD has adopted last May... after the long work
of the WSIS-Finance group
tp://www.wsis-finance.org/

The CSTD <http://www.wsis-finance.org/cstd.html> has adopted a
recommendation in May 2008 :
*/ 32. Recommends that UNGIS organize focused open multistakeholder
consultations on the implementation of part B of the Tunis Agenda "
Financial Mechanisms for Meeting the Challenges of ICTs for Development"; /*

Jean-Louis Fullsack has not been allowed to assist to the last UNGIS
meeting.

What are they doing at UNGIS ?

Best

Francis

> [...]
>
> On November 25th a stormy General Assembly was held in Lyon (France)
> and was unable to reach consensus on further steps. An extraordinary
> Assembly was then scheduled in Bamako, January 27th, 2009. More
> confused than stormy this Assembly decided that a strategical and
> finance independant audit shall be organized and its results
> presented to a last extraordinary Assembly to be scheduled prior to
> May 27th. This last Assembly would finally decide on the proposition
> of the President of Senegal to take over the management of the DSF
> (he was also given the responsibility to contract this audit and
> manage the interim period).
>
> The investment made so far has reached some 6 millions of euros (a
> substantial part coming from developing countries) and one of the
> argument for not letting go the situation was the responsibility to
> protect that invested capital (which is no more in cash but hopefully
> some part has transformed into people and project experiences and
> institutional moves). Furthermore, it appears that the cashflow would
> allow to stand until the next Assembly but no more.
>
> The situation as of today is that the audit has apparently not been
> launched and the risk is extremely high, due to the shortness of
> cashflow, that the DSF will just fade out without any decision taken
> and no audit results presented. This could be the worst scenario for
> one of the most concrete products the WSIS process has tried to
> launch and a shameful situation for our ICT4D community in regard to
> the lost investment...
>
> In that context, I want to call upon global civil society to put
> pressure on stakeholders in order to try to save whatever is possible
> from the disaster. I am wondering, given the particular situation, if
> the best approach would not be to try to convince a UN related structure to
> take over the DSF, conduct an audit which appears a mandatory
> requirement (if only for accountability of public money invested!)
> and assess the situation, trying to preserve, as far as possible, the
> initial principles (multistakeholder global fund to overcome the
> digital divide based on innovative sources).
>
> ITU, G at ID or UNDP (which has been out of that field for some years
> now) are possible options. I am not sure that any of them is eager to
> take over a project in such a difficult situation; what I am quite
> sure is that it is my duty as a civil society involved actor to
> alert, inform and contribute to the search for a solution (I shall
> also remember as a possible contribution that Agence de la
> Francophonie had offered during the DSF Board debates to take
> responsibility to contract an audit of the DSF... although it was
> decided to do it another way).
>
> Daniel Pimienta
> Networks & Development Foundation
> http://funredes.org
> Member of APC Network
> As LA&C civil society member of the DSF Board

Francis F. Ph.D  MUGUET KNIS/ENSTA

Pôle de Développement pour l'Information Scientifique
"Réseaux de la Connaissance et Société de l'Information"
Scientific Information Development Laboratory
"Knowledge Networks & Information Society" (KNIS)

ENSTA/KNIS  http://knis.org
32 Blvd Victor 75739 PARIS cedex FRANCE
Phone: (33)1 45 52 60 19  Fax: (33)1 45 52 52 82
muguet at ensta.fr   http://www.ensta.fr/~muguet

PC4D : http://www.pc4d.org

MDPI Foundation Open Access Journals
http://www.mdpi.org   http://www.mdpi.net
muguet at mdpi.org       muguet at mdpi.net

World Summit On the Information Society (WSIS)
Civil Society Working Groups
Scientific Information :  http://www.wsis-si.org  chair
Patents & Copyrights   :  http://www.wsis-pct.org co-chair
Financing Mechanismns  :  http://www.wsis-finance.org web
Info. Net. Govermance  :  http://www.wsis-gov.org  web

NET4D : http://www.net4D.org
UNMSP : http://www.unmsp.org
WTIS : http://www.wtis.org   REUSSI : http://www.reussi.org

Francis F. MUGUET  Ph.D
World Tour of the Information Society (WTIS)
muguet at wtis.org   http://wtis.org http://wtis.tv
REUSSI : http://reussi.org

KNIS/ENSTA    http://knis.org