[WSIS CS-Plenary] Digital Solidarity Fund in risk of disappearing: action required

Daniel Pimienta pimienta at funredes.org
Wed Apr 15 14:01:52 BST 2009

Dear Ken,

I do not have any information on why the audit has not been started
and this is the main trigger of my alert since I am every day more
convinced that this audit is a requirement... (see below).

Dear Charles,

I discover I may have not an accurate sense of how much the DSF
initiative has been controvesial and indeed I perceive that point as
a supplementary reason to have an audit performed. Another difficult
matter to sort out is to understand if the actual situation of the
DSF is a logical consequence of its very initial design (as some
people appear to believe) or if it is the result of conjonctural
circumstances... and again a neutral and independant audit appears to
be a requirement here.

As for the idea of "an international network of civil society
entities focusing on democratic participation (+ right to
Information), free flow of information, and equitable and affordable
access to ICTs for remote and marginalized populations", it does
sounds a very interesting and promising idea (I would personally add
"digital literacy" and "info ethics" as key items in such program)
but I wonder why this idea have to be  dependant on the existence or
not of the DSF.

In any case, the idea to discuss the DSF situation during the next
WSIS Forum could be much appropriate.

Best,
Daniel