[WSIS CS-Plenary] this list is in trouble...

Anriette Esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
Tue Feb 10 19:47:13 GMT 2009

Hello all

Just to confirm what has been said:

- APC is still donating server time and space towards hosting this list

- Subscription is public, so anyone can subscribe, but the request for
subscription is held for approval by the volunteer moderators who are,
currently, Adam Peake and Karen Banks

- However, the spirit of this list has been one of open and free
participation, and it is in no way linked to WSIS accreditation;
therefore the moderators are not under any obligation to spend too much
time on checking who new subscribers are.. as long as they appear to
have some interest in information society issues potential subscribers
are likely to be approved

- The purpose of the list has evolved, and while it is has been less
active, it could still play a role in sharing information, and, as
Charles Geiger has pointed out, to communicate specifically around the
WSIS follow-up process which for many of us is still important

APC is happy to continue to support this list, but we are not in a
position to monitor it closely. That we leave to the participants.. and
based on the discussion in this thread, you are doing a very good job at
dealing with inappropriate content.

Best

Anriette