[WSIS CS-Plenary] this list is in trouble...

Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br
Wed Feb 11 12:04:44 GMT 2009

Yes, the intruder shows some mebers of the list are alive, not that the
list is itself alive. The flurry of messages now was provoked, and
unless we think about what to do with the list, it will soon return to
its "siesta".

WSIS-related themes are well alive, but not so via this list, this is
the point. And this is the only of hundreds of lists I receive in which
you have to scroll down past a long header to get to the actual content
(why is it configured like this??), and usually the content is just an
announcement or ad.

Thanks, Charles, for this. If the list at least remains as an
information feed with content like this msg from Charles as example,
fine. But still needs moderation, which is not what we have today.

BTW, the CRIS campaign main list (cris-active) seems to have gone to a
"siesta" since January.

After WSIS, interest from NGOs (and other stakeholders) in the themes
has clearly faded. All the more reason to think what to do with our
information exchange channels.

frt rgds

--c.a.

Charles Geiger wrote:
> [Please note that by using 'REPLY', your response goes to the entire list. Kindly use individual addresses for responses intended for specific people]
>
> Click http://wsis.funredes.org/plenary/ to access automatic translation of this message!

> Dear all
>
> Well, thanks to the "intruder" from Chandigarh we know now that this list
> is not dead!
>
> In the past, I sent all information about CSTD and the cluster of
> WSIS-related events to Philippe, who sent it to this list. I wanted to
> remain in the background, as I am not really "civil society" (at least not
> yet, I shall retire in November 2009 and maybe shall continue on some
> aspects of WSIS in my new capacity as a member of civil society...).
>
> There have been some changes in CONGO, and I shall discuss with CONGO
> about their future role in WSIS follow-up. If CONGO agrees, I shall
> continue, for the time being, to work through CONGO.
>
> There are some new developments here in Geneva. Regarding the cluster of
> WSIS-related events, ITU is taking over more and more responsibility,
> which is not a bad move, as I am retiring. ITU may not feel comfortable to
> send information to a "civil society list", but I think they would be
> ready to keep CONGO in the loop. This would alllow for better planning for
> those of you who intend to come to Geneva for the future clusters of
> WSIS-related events.
>
> Regarding the CSTD, the Secretariat did install last year for the first
> time a e-mail list for the members of the Commission, and I managed to get
> on this list also three persons from civil society, insiting on the
> multi-stakeholder character of WSIS follow-up (Ayesha from ICC is also on
> the list). The three persons are Philippe, Parminder and Anriette. There
> was no traffic on this list in the last few months,  but in the run-up to
> the next CSTD session (25-29 May 2009) I think that a draft resolution on
> WSIS follow-up may circulate again on this list, like last year. As
> Philippe is not anymore with CONGO, the draft resolution could be sent to
> this list by Parminder or Anriette (or a new person from CONGO). It is a
> good way to keep all of you informed, and you may also give feedback to
> those of you who are at Geneva attending the CSTD. CONGO has already
> contacted me (thanks to the "accident" on this list)  and we shall discuss
> what role CONGO can/will play in WSIS follow-up from now onwards.
>
> I use this opportunity to give you some advance information directly. It
> is not yet official, but very likely, that there would be a second round
> of open consultations in the run-up to the fourth annual IGF meeting in
> Egypt,  in the second week of May in Geneva, very probably on 13 May. The
> MAG of IGF would then meet on 14 and 15 May. ITU plans to hold a cluster
> of WSIS-related events (or whatever the new name may be) in the third week
> of May, in the ITU premises or in the CICG (behind the ITU) in Geneva. At
> [...]

Carlos A. Afonso
Rede de Informações para o Terceiro Setor --- Rits