[WSIS CS-Plenary] this list is in trouble...

linda misek-falkoff ldmisekfalkoff at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 14:18:48 GMT 2009

Dear Charles,

Thank you much for bringing us up to date and being in the major mover group
holding things together, as well deserved by all here.

I would like to be considered as an active participant in the Civil Society
representative cluster going forward.  I was honored to be nominated by
CONGO for the GAID, and apparently did not make the cut on the final
decision -  still looking to such role and here would fit so well.

I am an older woman, active in U.N. and other multi-stakeholder civil
society domains including international but with a more diverse set of
networks than one very large organization, although I am pleased to be on
the Board and active Membership of the Communications Coordination Committee
for the U.N., one of the first and most sustaining civil society NGOS  -
 (LDMF perspective:) the CCC/UN having among other leader characteristics a
constituency chock full of early and ongoing visionaries and practitioners
in many venues of media related to cultural advances).

My work in ITC and society goes back to ARPANet, my job authoring the first
GML (Generalized Markup Language) later being the base of HTML.  Those early
days were anything but dull, quite exciting really with the new design and
function and education and maintenance challenges, and I remain actively
involved and excited about all the new perspectives in computing and
culture.

As a sidebar, one observes hierarchies emerging in more than one sub group
of civil society relative to online topics and concerns.  The unprecedented
huge and inspiring seeding networks of 'Netizens' from civil society (who
should not consider themselves or be considered by others as restricted to
early marketing phases) grew the whole garden.  Then it becomes harder to
manage of course as these things go, and a systems-wise natural progression
where initiators lose voice seems to inevitably follow.  We must have
voice.  Let the chorus be diverse, inclusive, sustainably creative.

Please forgive this self-nomination but you can check CONGO recommendations
in Google and an extensive involvement in civil society perspectives
relative to ICT over the decades. Or I can supply what you might wish in
documentation. (Any supportive notes sent to you by colleagues accessing
this note will of course be appreciated).

With cordial best wishes, and *Respectfully Interfacing* (My. U.N. Programme
to which all here are invited),

LDMF.

Dr. Linda D. Misek-Falkoff.

* Respectful Interfaces Programme*  of the CCC/UN.

Other affiliations including work on Internet law & social vlaues topics
online or accessible by search engines.