[WSIS CS-Plenary] DIGITAL PUBLIC INNOVATION FAIR-2010

Hakikur Rahman hakik at sdnbd.org
Tue Feb 16 09:47:50 GMT 2010

Pleased to read the email. I hope this Digital
Public Innovation Fair 2010 will be a milestone
in accomplishing the visions set for the ´Digital
Bangladesh´. The government may take this
opportunity to discuss them elaborately through
the conferences by making partnership with
entrepreneurs, research institutes, civil
societies and development partners. I am certain,
there are opportunities to collaborate among them
in reaching out the benefit of the Digital
Bangladesh to the grass roots communities in the country.

Not without making it a very long email, I would
like to draw a little attention on reaching out
to the grass roots communities through the local government initiatives:

Governments throughout the world are in quest of
finding novel ways to deliver public services
more efficiently and effectively to reach the
people at large. Incorporation of electronic form
of governance (e-governance) in the local
governments tier is an option widely discussed,
although the expectations often vary. They vary
in nature, culture, practice, habits and
habitations among communities, regions, states
and nations. For example, some foresee service
delivery costs to be reduced, many expect for
equitable stipulation of public services and
others anticipate better planning across a
geographical boundary. Various social motivations
and political commitments motivations may also be
reasons for the change as well.

Moreover, due to non availability of any accepted
e-governance framework, some countries and
agencies of implementation are yet at the stage
of simulation or at stages of experimentation or
at state of confusion, even after years of
successful operation of e-government system in
many countries. Countries in the developing and
transitional economies are major victims of this
situation, as most of the time they just try to
replicate an established system in a country or
try to simply manipulate on their own without
enough researches in this aspect or try to
popularize a vision without looking into the
intricacy within it. The consequences are that,
not only governments, but also, development
actors are revisiting the concept of e-government
system as many projects on e-governance have
failed throughout the globe. Some of the
international agencies have even shifted their
focus area of funding. Perhaps, these could be
due to factors related to design, perception,
culture, economics, transparency or simple
failure due to lack of proper attention.

National e-government concepts and strategies
should lead to develop a concrete e-governance
framework in a country incorporating; development
of institutional infrastructure, establishment of
adequate information infrastructure, formation of
liberal legal and regulatory infrastructure, and
creation of business value out of these services.

In this context, to achieve maximum capabilities
of ICT tools in e-government practice at the
grass roots, it is necessary to adjust the
organizational structure and usage leading to:
actual legal and socioeconomic context in which
strategic development planning process is to be
performed; pragmatic demands that managing of
local development has to be fulfilled; include
all participants in local management process; and
strengthen institutional capacities and
procedures.  However, it has been observed that
only small percentage of the local governments
could meet the criteria for effective
e-government management including: leadership,
strategic planning, performance measurement and
market promotion. In order to be successful,
local e-government objectives require strong
leadership that champions e-government and works
to increase acceptance among stakeholders. In
addition to having a local strategy, individual
organizations should also include local
e-government approach in their strategic plans to
ensure each employee is continuously looking for
ways to improve processes and service delivery.
Regular performance measures are also essential
for evaluating whether the particular
e-government system ( or segment of the system)
is cost efficient, properly serving customers, and being used effectively.

As mentioned below (in the announcement), several
service delivery (Passport, SSC and HSC results,
automation of recruitment process, and others)
that have already created enthusiasm and offering
benefits are of worth mentioning. The government
need to utilize this momentum to include some
more pragmatic service deliveries, such as
e-procurement, e-transactions, and e-application
processing in various government agencies who offer citizen services.

Aiming at a fully functioning information system,
the following basic technical preconditions
should also be met: establishment of a local
network connecting all the computers in the local
administration, or at least one computer in each
organization or office should be in the network;
configuring a central server to host the content,
information and supporting software locally; and
affordable Internet connection according to the
needs of the local government network and its
financial capacity. Large municipalities might
use a dedicated line (broadband, fiber, ISDN or
other available high speed connectivity),
providing twenty-four hour connection with the
Internet. Smaller local governments may afford to
a more limited connection at an affordable price.
Central government may subsidize the entire
operation for a while till the local e-government
system becomes self sustainable. If the system is
built around the core aspects of the livelihood
system, incorporating the people at large has
every possibility of sustenance in the long run.

However, to implement a pragmatic information
system at the local government level, the
following information infrastructure could be
thought as a pre-requisite: at least one computer
in each department or office (simple PIII or PIV
or even clones); one high-end computer (may be a
Pentium V) functioning as server; personnel with
minimum working knowledge on computer basics and
Internet; an user-friendly operating system
(perhaps, open source) and a operational manual;
at least a team of experts (preferably local, of
not periodical central) to conduct the basic
systemic analysis, install the model, and train
the officials (train the trainers, instead of training the entire community).

Better implementation of local e-government or
local e-governance means utilizing the power of
ICT to assist in transforming the accessibility,
quality and cost-effectiveness of public service
and to help revitalize the relationship among
customers and citizens and the public bodies who
work for their benefits. Planned e-governance and
appropriate use of ICT at the local level can
enhance and support economic and social
development, particularly in empowering officials
and municipal representatives by ensuring
linkages and networking through timely,
efficient, transparent, responsive, and accountable services.

I hope some of you will find it interesting.

Thanking you,
Hakik
PS. Anyone interested may write me off-line.

Prof. Hakikur Rahman
Post-Doctoral researcher
University of Minho, Portugal and
Adjunct Faculty