[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: Opening Ceremony Speaker PCT proposal : Richard Stallman

Dr. Francis MUGUET muguet at mdpi.org
Thu Nov 6 15:07:19 GMT 2003

Dear Ralf & others
,

> This is a pretty arrogant position and it is plainly wrong. I question
> this whole world view, where important bright (normally white male) men
> save the world from whatever evil. This totally neglects the role of
> social movements and historic trends.
This is a pretty philosophical question.
They are the ones that believes only in "motion of the masses"
but who set up "social movements" and "historic trends" ?
Besides Free Software is a social movement that has a lot of support
in emergent countries

> > Richard Stallman is well versed with all the
> > technical, legal, economical and philosophical aspects of the issues of
> > the Civil Society.
> So are a whole number of people.
Of course, that's not the point, it was simply to comply with a
prerequisite

>> This is an inner-European political problem at the moment. As important
> as it may be for the rest of the world,
  Winning this battle  is very important for all the world.
  People in emergent countries are clever.
  They do understand this issue,
  They are quite sensitive to patent issues such as when patents
  apply to drugs

I am not sure it is appropriate
> for the World Summit. There are a number of big problems in other parts
> of the world.
This should not an excuse. Richard is going to speak about them,
reading the text compiled towards this purpose/

 Just read the African Caucus statement again from the
> Paris Intersessional:
> <http://www.worldsummit2003.de/en/web/404.htm>

it would be interesting to hear what African people have to say
for themselves of this proposition
( unfortunately many French speaking African people are
 not understanding  us as we talk )

Best regards

Francis

Francis F. MUGUET Ph.D
muguet at mdpi.org   muguet at ensta.fr

MDPI Foundation   http://www.mdpi.net

World Summit On the Information Society (WSIS)
Civil Society Working Groups
Scientific Information :  http://www.wsis-si.org  chair
Patents & Copyrights   :  http://www.wsis-pct.org co-chair