[WSIS CS-Plenary] Interested in evaluation of community informatics projects

Wallace Taylor w.taylor at cqu.edu.au
Tue Nov 25 04:12:08 GMT 2003

Hi all,

One issue that seems not to have been given a lot of 'air play' in the lead up to the Civil Society participation in WSIS is that of evaluation and research. It seems that an important step in the advancement of the appropriation ICT by civil society is that of evaluative frameworks and community based research which can provide the means to replicate success.

CIRN (Community Informatics Research Network) has been formed recently to provide a focal point for research and evaluation. I am a cochair of this organisation and will be attending WSIS from 7 - 11 December representing the COIN Internet Academy (a community project supported by a University and a local government) in Rockhampton Australia.

Some of our network will be meeting during the WSIS and I would welcome the opportunity to meet with anyone else who has an interest in evaluation and research.

Wal Taylor
COIN Internet Academy
Faculty of Informatics and Communication
Central Queensland University
Rockhampton, AUSTRALIA
Ph +61 7 4923 2568       Fax + 61 7 4927 0700
Mob +61 (0) 409 456 115

http://infocom.cqu.edu.au/staff/Wallace_Taylor

You may wish to view the recently published books:
'Using Community Informatics to Transform Regions' Eds. Marshall, Taylor & Yu.
  http://www.idea-group.com/books/details.asp?id=4146
'Closing the Digital Divide'  Eds. Marshall, Taylor & Xu.
  http://www.greenwood.com/books/BookDetail.asp?dept_id=1&sku=Q602&imprintID=
'Current IT Issues in Education' Ed. Tanya McGill
  http://www.idea-group.com/books/details.asp?id=4041