[WSIS CS-Plenary] CS meeting in Tunis 22-23 June?

Amali De Silva amalidesilva at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 6 09:37:34 BST 2004

Rik - these are all good suggestions. Do we have a functioning CS Bureau ? / who is responsible for sorting out these logistical issues ?

Amali  ( VCN - Canada )

rikp at earthlink.net wrote:
Dear Colleagues,

Given that the first official preparatory meeting for the Tunis Phase of the WSIS will likely be June 24-26 June in Tunis, do people feel that it would be helpful to convene civil society meetings prior to the official meetings? If so, we should be approaching the Tunis secretariat about making arrangements for CS meeting spaces, computers and other logistical arrangements.

Since the first preparatory meeting is taking place in Africa, it is likely that we may have a number of new participants at this meeting than during the Geneva phase. I would propose that we organize at least a CS orientation session for a couple of hours scheduled in order to explain and discuss the various CS structures, intiatives, working groups, caucuses, and history up to Geneva 2003. Breakout sessions organized by caucuses and working groups could be scheduled. And Content and Themes and the Bureau should have times to meet. I personally think we need at least one full day to do this, ideally two.

Note that for new participants in the Tunis Phase, new requests for accreditation have to be received via fax or post to the WSIS secretariat at least SIX WEEKS prior to the meeting, which in this case would be the 1st week of May. So if you know of groups who would like to participate, please inform them NOW, so they can make get accredited, coordinate calendars, raise funds, get board approval, etc. Groups already accredited during the Geneva Phase are still accredited in this phase.

In general, I would like to avoid what happened in previous prepcoms, where we spent too much time debating with each other when we could have been lobbying governments or engaging with private sector groups. In June, given the limited time of the prepcom, we need to use the official meeting times as efficiently and wisely as possible.

Regards,

Rik Panganiban
Conference of NGOs in Consultative Relationship with the United Nations (CONGO)

Amali De Silva-Mitchell BSc.(Econ)Warwick,MSc.(Int.Acc/Fin)LSE

Tel: 1-604-736-9012 & Email: amalidesilva at yahoo.com